iPod Touch Mail App not working
Only3Penguins
Enthusiast - Level 1

My family just had FiOS installed a couple days ago.  It's taken my brother and I a couple days to notice that the mail apps on our iPod Touches (which worked 100% with our old Verizon DSL) are no longer working (i.e. they are no longer pushing emails from our Yahoo and GMail accounts to the iPods).

I deleted my Yahoo account from my iPod and then tried to re-add it to see if that would fix things and the message I got from the iPod reads: "the imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com is not responding. check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the incoming mail server field"  My brother's Touch gave him a different message regarding his Gmail account but he's not here at the moment for me to quote it directly.  Only via the wifi at work was I able to successfully re-add my Yahoo account to the iPod.  Now I'm back home again and when I try to refresh my inbox it's just "Checking for Mail..." indefinitely.

Note that it's only the mail app that is not functioning; all the other online functionality of the iPods (Safari, Youtube, weather app, iTunes) are working 100% with FiOS.  And as I mentioned above, the mail app worked today on the wifi at work.  It's only at home with the new FiOS that the mail app on my iPod stops working.

Any ideas?  Might there perhaps be something I can tinker with in the router settings?

Re: iPod Touch Mail App not working
Only3Penguins
Enthusiast - Level 1
Me again. I've discovered the mail app works when I set the firewall from maximum to typical. Is there any way to tell it to let it work on maximum?
Re: iPod Touch Mail App not working
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

The difference between the high and medium is what is permitted outbound from your network.  In High only certainly things are allowed outboundth.  In med all is allowed outbound.  In my opinion as long as all inbound is blocked then allow anything out.  

Just my 2 cents

0 Likes