incoming emails sometimes blocked
MEBB
Enthusiast - Level 1
0 Likes
Re: incoming emails sometimes blocked
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Can you give a bit more detail?

Is it email from a particular sender/domain that you are having trouble with or all email?

When you say "blocked" do you mean that it is going to your Spam Detector folder or not arriving at verizon.net at all?

Is the sender getting a bounceback message? If they are, what is the reason listed for the message being undeliverable?

0 Likes
MEBB
Enthusiast - Level 1

The failure notice my brother receives state:  Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

{edited for privacy}

Mail server for "verizon.net" unreachable for too long

Typically, he gets these three days after the email was sent.  (not very helpful when some emails are time sensitive).

The emails do not show up in my spam folder (and I do have my preference set to have spam go to that folder).  Not all of his emails are blocked - just some.  Other individuals report they got error messages, again, days after, but no one else saved the messages.  I've begun asking people to let me know about error messages, but I can't do that with everyone, particularly professional colleagues.  The problem does not appear to be associated with any particular domain.

During a call with tech support several weeks ago, they said they tested my email and found that the problem was with the Verizon spam detector system.  Tech support said they could not fix the problem and that I needed to email the spam detector team.  I did, but it  has not helped the problem.  When I called tech support again yesterday to let them know that the problem was continuing to occur, the tech told me that the only thing I could do was to fill out a white list form, which I did.  That may help in some cases, but this seems to happen so randomly and with a variety of people whose emails usually, but don't always come through. I really hate the idea of putting my entire address list on the white list.  Again - particularly in the case of professional colleagues - it's a nuisance for them to have to respond to the whitelist request.

Is there anything else I can or should do to try to get this resolved?

thanks

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

If they are getting a message that says "Mail server for "verizon.net" unreachable for too long" then that's not related to the Spam Detector. (Since the message never got to Verizon's servers, it never got to the Spam Detector.)

If it's intermittent the it is probably only happening on certain email server(s) within Verizon. Get a copy of as many of the bounceback messages as you can with full header info, and contact Tech support. (The headers are important, since they give the specific server that was unreachable.) They will most likely need to escalate the issue for investigation.

If the agent tells you it's an issue with the Spam Detector or that you need to fill out a whitelist request, ask to speak to their supervisor. 1. You've already done it. 2. It won't fix an issue with the email server(s) not responding.

There are several options available for contacting tech support on the Contact Us page. I seem to have good luck getting knowledgeable agents on Live Chat.

Hope this helps!

MEBB
Enthusiast - Level 1

thank you.  This has been frustrating, and I get the sense that the tech support individuals I have talked to are trying to give quick and easy answers and are not really trying to understand the problem.  I will follow your suggestions to see if that helps.

thank you!

0 Likes