intermittent connection problems
Tim3880

Does anyone else has the intermittent connection problems with FIOS? When we ping yahoo.com, we got 22% packages dropped, while no drops at all when ping google.com in the same time.  

The time-around varies from 15ms to 900ms (and drops) range for yahoo and a stable 15-20ms for google.com. We use wired connection here and the local network works fine.

It's not a yahoo problem since we had no drops testing from our other lines (non-verizon 3G). It's not a computer issue either since we had the same problem testing from other computers /devices running different OS. 

We also had trobles using VPN, remote desktop to some destinations due to the unstable connections. The wierd thing is that we can VPN to office one and VPN to office two from Office one without problem, but we can't VPN directly to Office two. 

We had this problem with the Verizon high-speed internet. We switched to Comcast and never had this problem with Comcast before the FIOS came available. Now with FIOS the problem came back, we believe there is something wrong in Verizon's end, it may blocking or filtering some traffics, or it has some bad routing settings,  or it just had a crowded connection to some areas. 

0 Likes
Re: intermittent connection problems
FX2k11
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think we're starting to see certain areas being oversubscribed, I've noticed this problem over the last 2 months.  It occurs more frequently in the afternoon/evening.  Latency rises, packets start dropping and speed drops in general.  Try doing a few ping traces to different areas and speed tests to different areas... I used to get consistent 100% speed test results I am now seeing them fluctuate.

I even took the router out of the equation and connected straight to different PCs from the ONT to eliminate any variables, same issue.  

I would also recommend broadbandreports. com/forum/vzfiber  .  A quick search and you'll find other users having similar problems, they even have a Verizon Direct section where a VZ Rep will look into your issue... mine stopped responding however... first time that has occurred.  

0 Likes
Tim3880

Over-subscribed could be one reason but I still think there is something more. When your FIOS network become crowded, you will have similar trouble visiting all poplur websites. However, we oftern detected problems with some destinations (poplur ones) only, even in the middle night or early morning. It must have something to do with how Verizon handles the traffic, not with the bandwidth. 

Last year we spent several days trying to solve similar problem with their High-Speed internet and got nothing but a exra modem bill.  It seems we need lower our expectation on FIOS and add a comcast line for backup. 

0 Likes
Namronorman
Contributor - Level 2

Every night starting at roughly 7:30pm ET. Anything that goes through Philly/NYC area is terrible. I've been fighting this one for awhile now with no success.

http://www.pingtest.net/result/78026321.png

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Youtube has been extremely buggy.   A lot of users from a lot of ISP's have found common google cache servers causing an error. 

this has been a common fix that has helped a number of users (most, but not all).

Try it and see if it helps

• Log into your FIOS Router
  • Click Firewall Setting (at top)
  • Click Yes to proceed
  • Click Advanced Filtering (on left)
  • Click Add on the broadband connection rules you have setup (either coax or ethernet). You can check which one yours uses by going to My Network (up top) and clicking Network Connections (on left), look for the one that says connected.
  • Change Source address to User Defined in the drop down list
  • Enter a description (i.e. Youtube Throttling)
  • Click Add under items
  • Change Network Object Type to IP Range
  • Enter 173.194.55.0 in the From IP Address
  • Enter 173.194.55.255 in the To IP Address
  • Click Apply
  • Click Add under items
  • Change Network Object Type to IP Range
  • Enter 206.111.0.0 in the From IP Address
  • Enter 206.111.0.255 in the To IP Address
  • Click Apply
  • Click Apply again
  • Click Reject under the Operation drop down list