Switch Account

internet not working after windows xp reinstall

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

internet not working after windows xp reinstall

Message 1 of 4
(10,922 Views)
For a number of reasons I had to reinstall windows xp on my computer and now I cannot get an internet connection.  The router appears to be fully powered and the ethernet light on the back is on.  The connection settings on the computer show a connection but no data moving.  Help.
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Re: internet not working after windows xp reinstall

Message 2 of 4
(10,906 Views)
Check the status of your network adapter in device manager. I recall having the same issue, but do not recall the fix. It may be the driver for the adapter didn't load on the reinstall.
Highlighted
Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV

Message 3 of 4
(10,902 Views)
also please check to make sure that your IE settings are set to auto detect and never dial a connection in the tools internet options, connectivity tab... In the LAN settings is where you'll click on auto detect  and you shouldn't have a problem.
Highlighted
Silver Contributor III
Silver Contributor III

Message 4 of 4
(10,883 Views)
It could also be problems associated with the service pack reinstalled when you reinstalled - you may need to get service pack two on a disk to bring it up to speed.   It may also be that your windows reinstall does not supply the drivers for your NIC, which probably was supplied by the PC manufacturer, or, if your NIC was ever upgraded or replaced, its drivers would not be in your windows reinstall.
cjacobs001
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.