internet not working after windows xp reinstall
amc
For a number of reasons I had to reinstall windows xp on my computer and now I cannot get an internet connection.  The router appears to be fully powered and the ethernet light on the back is on.  The connection settings on the computer show a connection but no data moving.  Help.
0 Likes
Re: internet not working after windows xp reinstall
HenryFarpolo
Contributor - Level 2
Check the status of your network adapter in device manager. I recall having the same issue, but do not recall the fix. It may be the driver for the adapter didn't load on the reinstall.
0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1
also please check to make sure that your IE settings are set to auto detect and never dial a connection in the tools internet options, connectivity tab... In the LAN settings is where you'll click on auto detect  and you shouldn't have a problem.
0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
It could also be problems associated with the service pack reinstalled when you reinstalled - you may need to get service pack two on a disk to bring it up to speed.   It may also be that your windows reinstall does not supply the drivers for your NIC, which probably was supplied by the PC manufacturer, or, if your NIC was ever upgraded or replaced, its drivers would not be in your windows reinstall.
0 Likes