internet question about getting FiOS
asonnick
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I had a quick question,

When I get FiOS (haven't ordered yet), how would they make one of my desktops wireless? Do they supply a wireless adapter in the computer setup fee?

Thanks,

aj

0 Likes
Re: internet question about getting FiOS
Justin46
Legend

I am pretty sure they don't, they certainly did not offer that for me. But you can get an adapter for probably $20 - $30 at most any electronic store or via the internt and install it yourself, not hard. In fact you can get USB attached wireless adapters so all you do is plug it into an available USB port and install the drivers, don't have to open the case or anything .

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
asonnick
Enthusiast - Level 2
well  i have a belkin n adapter and its my second one - it likes to cut my internet off so thats why i was wondering if verizon offered anything good!!!
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@asonnick wrote:
well  i have a belkin n adapter and its my second one - it likes to cut my internet off so thats why i was wondering if verizon offered anything good!!!

That might (or might not) be the adapter's fault. Is this the only wireless attachment you currently have? Have you tried any other wireless device(s) and not had the problem? Do you have the latest drivers for the Belkin adapter? Have you tied changing the channel (lots of things can interfer with the signal, wireless phones are famous for that)? I had a Belkin USB wireless adapter on my wife's PC for a long time and it worked very well (it was a G adapter, not N).

Here is another thought: why do you use the desktop wirelessly? Is it in a room where you have a TV that is going to be using FiOS TV service? If so, you can go to eBay and buy a Motoroa NIM 100 and split the coax into two connections, TV on one, NIM on the other, and hook the PC to the NIM via Cat 5 or 6 cable and have a wired connection. I did that for my wife, works great (except I didn't need to buy the NIM, I already had it from my initial FiOS installation - Verizon no longer uses those, although I understand some techs still have them on their truck, if the idea works, you might ask). Just another option...  

Keller, TX 76248

Message Edited by Justin on 04-11-2009 03:51 PM
0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

The 'agreement' when you first get data (internet) from Verizon is that Verizon will install their equipment and set up one computer that meets the minimum requirements.  -Anything more than one is not the initial agreement so to connect more than one either you do it yourself, or get someone else to do it, or Verizon can come back (not at install) and do it for a fee. 

Now, if your computer has no ethernet NIC, the Field Tech will install a wireless USB adapter on that one Computer.  Also, if your computer is not right there in the room where the router is being installed, Verizon will not 'snake' the cable through the walls to find your computer to attach ethernet, so, it might be that the field tech would then also use the wireless adapter.

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
also, you mention having\using a Belkin 'N' router.   Does your computer have an 'N' NIC, as opposed to a 'G' card ?   'G' is what is on most computers right now.  The 'N' speed is still in 'Draft' (not finalized), and most devices are not 'N' capable.   The Verizon-supplied  Routers are not shipping with 'N' capabilities, yet.   The latest firmware for the verizon-supplied routers does have upgradeability to 'N', but it is not 'out' yet. 
0 Likes
cheather1101

verizon at one time did offer the zyxcel wireless adapter

0 Likes