Switch Account

internet

Contributor della
Contributor
Message 1 of 9
(843 Views)

my internet has been running slow and freezing (not responding).  I did a microsoft diagnostics and it said "incoming verizon.net/outgoing verizon,net  FAILED".  What does that mean and how do I fix?  I turned off the router & computer, waited 1 min. and restarted.  didn't help. Please pardon me but I am computer illiterate.

8 REPLIES 8
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 2 of 9
(821 Views)

incoming.verizon.net and outgoing.verizon.net are the addresses to Verizon's mail servers. Are you having issues with your e-mail or with the entire Internet experience all together? Does your PC seem sluggish overall, program-wise while downloading data or while browsing?

Contributor della
Contributor
Message 3 of 9
(811 Views)

the entire internet.  Yes, sluggish.  I've run norton-it says everything ok.  Microsoft security essentials says everything ok too.  is it time to get new computer?

Contributor baseball5150
Contributor
Message 4 of 9
(805 Views)

what operating system are you using?

Contributor della
Contributor
Message 5 of 9
(789 Views)

not sure what you mean, but heregoes:  Windows XP, version 2002, computer 1.60GHZ, 480 mp of ram.  is that right?

Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Message 6 of 9
(781 Views)

Is this a "recent" occurence?  Or something that's lingered for quite a while now?

I don't doubt things are very slow with a 1.6ghz machine with only 480mb of ram and Symantec running on it (a big resource pig in and of itself).  

Contributor della
Contributor
Message 7 of 9
(755 Views)

it's been happening for the past 4 or 5 months.  I only use for personal stuff after work, no business or complicated things.  I have no problems getting new computer but just want to make sure the same thing doesn't happen with a new one.

Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 8 of 9
(739 Views)

Are you running both Microsoft Security Essentials and a Licensed version of a Norton/Symantec Anti-virus product? That might be the source of your slowness right there, besides the slower hardware in the machine. You're really only supposed to run one AV real-time monitor.

Contributor tonyterry12
Contributor
Message 9 of 9
(613 Views)

MY INTERNET KEEPS FREEZING UP ON ME AND IT IS VERY DISAPPOINTING WHEN I AM TRYNG TO GET INFORMATION OR SEE DIFFERENT SITES AS WELL.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.