is this normal?
iamloco724
Contributor - Level 1

so im testing out fios while at a friends house on my laptop

so i have some stuff uploading in utorrent and it seeds great

then i started downloading stuff using internet download manager while uploading in you torrent and as soon as i start downloading upload speed basically goes down to more then 10 but usually less until im done downloading

is this normal or there an issue on fios end or on my mind with settings in programs or router?

0 Likes
Re: is this normal?
prisaz
Legend

Are you hardwired to the router?

Also P2P might have issues with the router and the number of simultaneous connections. NAT table in the router. The router may run out of memory depending on the Version. Some users have chosen to have the ONT from Verizon set for Ethernet to the router and not MOCA. This allows the use of a better router, but lose Verizon support. You can try to limit the number of simultaneous connections on your torrent and things may even speed up.

This may also be an issue with P2P gaming where many connections in the NAT table are in use at the same time. Some of the newer Actiontec Verizon routers have solved some of this, but if it is a rev A through C you may experience this.

Read some of these posts regarding the router NAT table. This is a search of "NAT Table".

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?location=Board%3AFiOS_Internet&q=NAT+Tabl...

Regardless I would never give up my FiOS for cable.

iamloco724
Contributor - Level 1

its a rev e

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@iamloco724 wrote:

its a rev e

Rev E Actiontec should not have any P2P issues. Are you hardwired? I would suspect if you are wireless then all bets are off on speeds both ways. To many variables. Hardwired speeds should be the good both ways at the same time. Unless the servers or peers are having issues supporting your speeds. Now I could not answer that one. I have not run P2P for a long time. Perhaps someone else here can provide feedback.