lan does not have a valid ip configuration
rjd357
Enthusiast - Level 2

My FiOS will be installed next week. I purchased a G1100 Gateway on Ebay and I am not sure it is working.

I do not have it connected to the internet (obviously). I plugged it in to power and the top indicator on the front is red, which I assume means it is on and has no interent connection.

I connected a laptop to it via ethernet. and I get "lan does not have a valid ip configuration" as an error.

I do not see the router's ssid being broadcast.

I tried to connect through a browser to the address 192.168.1.1

IPconfig reports the IP address being assigned as 169.254.71.22 so I tried to connect using 169.254.1.1 and 169.254.71.1 all to no avail.

I have rebooted the modem, unplugged the modem, and pressed the reset button numerous times.

So now I am wondering if the G1100 is defective. Any advice appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: lan does not have a valid ip configuration
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I just tested on my spare G1100, and I can confirm even when not connected to the Internet I could still access it via it's Ethernet port at 192.168.1.1. 

The red globe does stay solid red, but I could still access the management page. 

By chance, has the location your at had FiOS in the past? If you have a new installation, Verizon will have to come out to install a device called an ONT to bring you service. At this time you can request the installer runs an Ethernet cable, so you can use whichever router you want. 

If you're not sure if the place had FiOS before, look around where your telecom cables come into the house, and see if you can locate a white or black box anywhere near those wires with the Verizon logo. If you can't find one, then most likely it will be a new installation, and you can use Ethernet. 

View solution in original post

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you pressed the reset button, did you hold it for longer than 10-30 seconds?

This is most likely a defective router from the sound of it, but try the holding reset button option first. 

Are you ordering just FiOS Internet, or FiOS Internet + TV? If you are using just FiOS Internet (and not TV), you can use any router of your choice (for the price of the G1100, there are many better routers that could be purchased). 

rjd357
Enthusiast - Level 2

I held it down for at least 20 seconds. I'll try again for longer.

I am getting just internet, but I need the G1100 to convert the the signal from coax to ethernet. Where I want it installed has coax from my basement but no ethernet. I don't suppose I could use a Comcast cable modem to do that can I?

Thanks.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. FIOS uses a router only.

You can also use a MOCA adapter and then put your router at the output of that.

rjd357
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was completely unaware that something like MOCA existed. I can think of a number of ways to use that.

But back to the G1100. Will any of it function (as a router) without being connected to Fios?

As far as I can tell the Wifi is off and I cannot log into it to access configuration. I even tried connecting the ethernet line from my Comcast cable modem and got nothing. The ethernet lights blink and the top light on the front is a steady red.

I am trying to tell if it is dead so I can return it and get a replacement or if it needs to be connected to Fios to function.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I just tested on my spare G1100, and I can confirm even when not connected to the Internet I could still access it via it's Ethernet port at 192.168.1.1. 

The red globe does stay solid red, but I could still access the management page. 

By chance, has the location your at had FiOS in the past? If you have a new installation, Verizon will have to come out to install a device called an ONT to bring you service. At this time you can request the installer runs an Ethernet cable, so you can use whichever router you want. 

If you're not sure if the place had FiOS before, look around where your telecom cables come into the house, and see if you can locate a white or black box anywhere near those wires with the Verizon logo. If you can't find one, then most likely it will be a new installation, and you can use Ethernet. 

rjd357
Enthusiast - Level 2

My house has never had Fios, so it will be a new install. I doubt they will be willing to run ethernet from my basement to the 2nd floor.

But I think you have answered my question, the G1100 is DOA. So I guess I need to order another one ASAP.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just a heads up: If it is a new install, installers are now required to run ethernet for all new installations, don't hesitate to ask! 

Best of luck!