login to actiontec router not allowing default
Alphonso

I use netflix so I purchased a wireless 'roku' player that allows me to access netflix, as well as a few other sites.

This was working fine for several months but now, somehow the connection was lost?

I followed the proper protacol, including wireless password but the connection from my router wouldn't work. I contacted roku, they walked me through a process of attempting to open my router. I used the listed 'default' user name and PW but each time I was refused connection, the info box said that I didn't list correct name or PW.

I also noticed that when entering my password when I pushed one keyboard button, 3 or 4 would appear in the box?

the word password would fill the whole box? I decided to open a notebook page, write the PW then cut and paste into the PW box. This didn't work either.

My reason for accessing the router is the good people at roku tell me that I must check to see if WEP is being used or if the firewall settings need to be reset?

If any of this makes sense, please explain to me. Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: login to actiontec router not allowing default
Justin46
Legend

The real default login for the Actiontec router is "admin" and "password". However, when the Verizon installer installs it for you, they log into the router, and the software in the router requires that the password be changed at first login. So the installer normally changes the password to "password1". Keep in mind that they could put anything in there, but that apparently is the Verizon standard.

As to the number of asterisks; just ignore them. I know it is hard, but look at the keyboard or up at the ceiling or something when you type in the password. The extra "characters" are not really there, it is just a (**bleep** IMO) security feature so that somebody watching over your shoulder will be confused by the number of asterisks displayed.

One last thing; if you just cannot log into the router, there is a reset button on the back that you can use to reset back to factory settings. In that case, the password really will go back to "password", but you will have to change it at first login.

Re WEP: unless the installer turned it off, or you did some customization of your own, then yes, WEP is being used for wireless encryption.

Keller, TX 76248

famphilips

So, if I look at the sky as I type 'password1' -- or the keyboard so I shouldn't screw up -- and it still doesn't take the username/password, my recourse is to reset the router?

If I do that how do I go about setting it up again? Or do I have to?

FP

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Notice the date on the post before yours - 4/21/2010. Something has changed since then that maybe you are not aware of. But you should be.....

In the last few weeks Verizon updated the password in all of the ActionTec routers that still had a simple password like: password, password1. And maybe some others, I don't know. They remotely changed it to the serial number of the router. You can find the serial number on a label on the bottom of the router.

Now, you should have gotten an email from Verizon telling you they had done this. You didn't? They supposedly sent an email to every user whose password they changed.

Anyway, you should be able to log into the router using "admin" for the name and the serial number for the password. If that doesn't work, then they only thing I can suggest is to reset the router to the defaults, and then it should be "admin" and "password". You reset the router by pushing the little red recessed button labeled "Reset" on the back of the router. That will set it back to the factory defaults. If you did not change it yourself, then it should work just fine. Otherwise, yes, you will need to remake your changes.

By the way, I am 99.99% sure the above is correct, but since I changed my password a long, long time ago, Verizon did not change mine. Smiley Very Happy

Keller, TX 76248

prisaz
Legend

Well that explains all the firewall hits from Verizon. They would have trouble resetting the password to my linux box. IP-Cop sure doesn't respond to their tool set. Yes it bothered me the first time I found out they could come right in even if you had changed your password. My other router is not Verizon's.