losing 10mb on wireless usb stick vs wired
Finnstar
I recently became a verizon customer and have 20/5mb internet and hd extreme tv.

I got the zyxel 802.11g Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter from the guy who did the install. My problem is that I can only download at a maximum speed of 10mb down (up is ok at 5mb) on wireless.

If I use a wired connection I always get the maximum 20mb down. These were both tested on speedtest.net

The router is the default one supplied by verizon.

I have tested the wireless connection by having the pc right next to the router so its not a wall interference/distance issue.

On the desktop the connection quality is described as excellent, connection speed shown at @ 54mbs.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: losing 10mb on wireless usb stick vs wired
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

I'll give you two choices, but I doubt you will like them. 

Hardware handshake issue with the USB2.0 or your computer doesn't have  USB 2.0, and as a result you are running USB 1.1, which is about 11 million bits per second. Either way, you are running as USB 1.1 instead of 2.0.

0 Likes
Re: losing 10mb on wireless usb stick vs wired
VikeFan1961
Enthusiast - Level 3

As stated issues with or the lack of a USB 2.0 port on your computer could be an issue.  However, if this is the case when connecting the your USB wireless adapter you should get a warning that the USB 2.0 device is running at/as a low speed USB 1.1 device.  Are you getting such a message?

When connected via your USB wireless adpater and you look at the connection status via the adapter's connection management software what kind of connection does it show and how fast is the link rate?  It could be possible that you are falling back into a wireless-B mode which will drop your through put to a 11 mbps  maximum.

0 Likes