mi424wr-gen3I no internet access from secondary subnet / router
diesel215

All,

I am looking to provide internet access to my internal LAN / WLAN devices on another router.  I have configured my second router to connect to the 192.168.1.0/24 network on the mi424wr LAN. 

Static routes: 192.168.2.0/24  next hop 192.168.1.254 (secondary router interface connected to m1424wr LAN)

Firewall policy filter: Network Home  Inbound and outbound allow access sourced and destined to both subnets.

I have layer 3 conectivity between the routers but I am not able to browse the internet from secondary router 192.168.2.0 network. My default router on the 192.168.2.0/24 is the 192.168.1.1 router.

I tried to modifiy the DNS setting for devices on the 192.168.2.0 net but nothing works.  Used 192.168.1.1 (mi424wr interface which the setting for the 192.168.1.0 net devices. Even tried using verizon's DNS server 68.237.161.12 but no internet access.  The mi424wr does have a dns server setting which I tried to statically add 192.168.2.x host but that did not work. 

So I am not sure if the mi424wr DNS server is not allowing any other subnets beside the 192.168.1.0/24 to access its DNS services or some other policy is needed to be created.  My secondary router is not NATing and at a loss.

Tried to research other methods of using my secondary router to connect to internet with the mi424wr-gen3I but nothing seems worth trying.  Setting the mi424wr-gen3I to bridge mode would be an option but have not seen any configuration for the REV I router vesion.  My last setup worked in bridge mode and STB were functional but VOD was always very choppy.  Seem there are some QoS setting the mi424wrI has configure to improve traffic priority for video.

Any assistance appreciated. 

Rich

0 Likes
Re: mi424wr-gen3I no internet access from secondary subnet / router
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

Have you tried the following:

Cable Primary LAN -  Secondary Rounter WAN 

Set Connection type  on secondary router as static and assigned it a WAN IP in the primary router's subnet   i.e 192.168.1.2 or whatever works for you and is preferably not in the primary router's DHCP assignment range.

This should allow you to connect to the Internet using devices connected to the secondary router.  Sharing resources between the the two subnets will require some additional work.

I have my primary Actiontec set up to handle my FIOS STB and a Roku.   Everything else is connected to my secondary router so this isn't a problem for me.

0 Likes
diesel215

I have my secondary router connected to the cable LAN using a 192.168.1.254 address which is not included in the dhcp scope.  It seem any device that has to access the internet must be on the cable LAN whether it resides on the mi424wr or my secondary router segment of 192.168.1.0/24 network.  Not sure what the mi424w is doing but really annoying that you can't simple set up mutiple subnets to separate traffic amongst device. 

My gut feeling is the DNS server on the mi424w is not allowing any other subnet to get DNS resolution.  Is there a way to disable this feature as I don't see any options in the GUI?  Do you know it there is access to the cli fo the mi424w.?

Thanks,

Rich

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

As STX said.  All you need to do is to connect an ethernet cable from a lan port of the Verizon router to the wan port of your own router.  Your own router needs to be configured with an address on the 192.168.1 subnet, either dhcp or static, yours is you say at 192.168.1.254 as is mine.  Then you should have configured the dhcp side of your router with a subnet other than 192.168.1 which apparently you have done.  You do not need static routes or anything else for devices on the 192.168.2 subnet to access the internet, other than valid DNS server addresses - did you set valid dns servers addresses in the static ip internet connection on your router?  You could set it to 192.168.1.1 and pick up whatever dns the vz router is using or you could set it dns servers of your choice, personally I set mine to opeDNS server addresses.

What kind of router is the second router?

Your description of your setup sound OK and the only difference I see between your setup and mine is that you say your second router is not NATing

0 Likes
diesel215

Thanks for the feedback.  I added NAT back on and things works. Guess it will be double NATing but need to review.

BTW good luck in the next rounds of ICE hockey for both teams.  Should be some good hockey.  Go USA

-Rich

0 Likes