Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.

multiple router?

chldudghks
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

multiple router?

Message 1 of 2
(590 Views)

I just had my service upgraded to a gigabit connection. I immediately saw the proper speed on my desktop via LAN. However, my laptop, on the other side of the house is only getting 100mbps which is 1/10th of the speed.

I know that wifi speed will always be slower and also the distance and walls, etc plays a role. I have a wifi extender but I feel like 1/10th of the speed is just.. too much.

Is it possible at all to install a second router so I can connect my laptop via LAN?

1 REPLY 1
jonjones
Platinum Contributor I
Platinum Contributor I

Re: multiple router?

Message 2 of 2
(588 Views)

@chldudghkswrote:

I just had my service upgraded to a gigabit connection. I immediately saw the proper speed on my desktop via LAN. However, my laptop, on the other side of the house is only getting 100mbps which is 1/10th of the speed.

I know that wifi speed will always be slower and also the distance and walls, etc plays a role. I have a wifi extender but I feel like 1/10th of the speed is just.. too much.

Is it possible at all to install a second router so I can connect my laptop via LAN?

You can buy an extender from Netgear that has a lan connection but make sure it’s a ac/a/g/b/n version. You could use a Verizon extender for a direct connection via its coaxial connection. Or even use a mesh device like googles. Or Netgears mesh but you will be spending money. 

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.