my emails are blocked/rejected by Hotmail
GDW62
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just started getting the following from emails sent to a couple of friends that I email often:

Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:

Recipient address: xxxxxxx@hotmail.com

Reason: Server rejected MAIL FROM address.

Diagnostic code: smtp;550 SC-004 Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. A block has been placed against your IP address because we have received complaints concerning mail coming from that IP address. If you are not an email/network admin please contact

Remote system: dns;mx2.hotmail.com (TCP|206.46.173.7|21189|65.55.92.136|25)

Diagnostic code: smtp;550 SC-004 Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. A block has been placed against your IP address because we have received complaints concerning mail coming from that IP address. If you are not an email/network admin please contact

Any ideas on how to find out what's going on?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: my emails are blocked/rejected by Hotmail
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I am pretty sure there is a hotmail/msn block going on to VZ servers and engineers are working on it to resolve it.   I heard that earlier today, so I don't know when that is supposed to be fixed.

Verizon engineers identified it as microsofts boo boo but they are working with them to fix it still

View solution in original post

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@GDW13 wrote:

I just started getting the following from emails sent to a couple of friends that I email often:

Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:

Any ideas on how to find out what's going on?

Thanks

Somebody in the past using your IP address or that range of IP addresses has been sending large amounts of email that have been deemed to be spam see link

http://www.trustedsource.org/query/206.46.173.0/29

You could get Verizon to try and fix it for you or if you don't have a week or so to wait disconnect your router for a while and see if you can get a new IP address that is not in the range 206.46.173.x

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@viafax999 wrote:

Somebody in the past using your IP address or that range of IP addresses has been sending large amounts of email that have been deemed to be spam see link

http://www.trustedsource.org/query/206.46.173.0/29

You could get Verizon to try and fix it for you or if you don't have a week or so to wait disconnect your router for a while and see if you can get a new IP address that is not in the range 206.46.173.x

The block is against the ip of Verizon's mail server, not your ip address. You can contact Verizon and let them know that this is going on, but it will ultimately be up to Microsoft to remove the block. Microsoft has a "whitelist" form that you can fill out that would help them get the un-block process rolling. (This has happened in the past, see this post.)

To get to the form:

1. Go to http://postmaster.live.com - You will land on the “Windows Live Hotmail Postmaster Services” page.  

2. Click on “My e-mail is being blocked by Windows Live Hotmail or is being sent directly to the junk e-mail fold...”.  You will land on the “Troubleshooting” page.  To access the support e-Form, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the “here” link-text within this phrase: “If your e-mail complies with our service guidelines and you are still experiencing e-mail delivery problems that are not addressed in our FAQ, click here to contact support.” 

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

How right you are, my apologies.  A tracert shows me they are VMS173001Pub  3 5 and 7, presumably Verizon Mail Server.  Interestingly the trace route also tells me that the Destination Host is unreachable which makes me think I have some router issue.  Guess the router issue is on my inside router as machines connected directly to the Westell trace OK.

The McAfee report appears to indicate that traffic was stopped on 4 of the servers?

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@viafax999 wrote:

How right you are, my apologies.  A tracert shows me they are VMS173001Pub  3 5 and 7, presumably Verizon Mail Server.  Interestingly the trace route also tells me that the Destination Host is unreachable which makes me think I have some router issue.  Guess the router issue is on my inside router as machines connected directly to the Westell trace OK.

The McAfee report appears to indicate that traffic was stopped on 4 of the servers?

Verizon probably has ping/tracert blocked on those servers to prevent DoS attacks.
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I am pretty sure there is a hotmail/msn block going on to VZ servers and engineers are working on it to resolve it.   I heard that earlier today, so I don't know when that is supposed to be fixed.

Verizon engineers identified it as microsofts boo boo but they are working with them to fix it still

0 Likes
GDW62
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for all the responses.  It looks like they're making it through now.

0 Likes
geerue

I am still having emails to msn.com blocked.  Will try the windows live support suggestion.

Hotmail is receiving fine.

0 Likes