Switch Account

myverizongateway.com is not a secure connection?

myverizongateway.com is not a secure connection?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Contributor deadfreddy
Contributor
Message 1 of 3
(7,212 Views)

This should have been in FIOS forum...

While using Firefox to login to myverizongateway.com I get a warning that the login is not secured. Both over ethernet and wifi.

Am I set up wrong or is there a larger issue?

2 REPLIES 2
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 2 of 3
(7,185 Views)

Yes it isn't secure.

But it isn't a security issue.

It provides a local connection to your router.

Its so people don't have to remember that router ip (which is also default gateway for all your devices) is 192.168.1.1

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Silver Contributor III Silver Contributor III
Silver Contributor III
Message 3 of 3
(7,162 Views)

Rob's got the right answer, but I'd like to add a bit more. There is no actual web site, www.myverizongateway.com. Verizon didn't even bother (or have the good sense to?) to buy the domain. If you do a who-is search on the domain myverizongateway.com you will see it's owned by some cyber-squatter in China who wants $3,000 to sell it (presumably to Verizon).

The router has been programmed to watch for a request to myverizongateway.com (coming from the LAN - that is, equipment inside your house). When it sees one, the router returns the web site built into the router for setup and maintenance. It is the same as just typing in the IP address of the router as Rob said. You never actually make a request over the Internet; it's all done on your internal LAN connections, so there's no need to secure it.

[Be nice! We are mostly fellow Verizon customers.
My setup: 75/75 Mbps; Linux router (2x 1Gbps ports) + iptables; Linksys WRT1900ACS in Bridge Mode]
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.