need help changing from WEP to WPA ENCRYPTION
lostinseattle
Enthusiast - Level 1

Recently read a comment that Verizon wireless internet users are encouraged to change from WEP to WPA encrption, but they did not give instructions  on how to proceed.  Can someone provide detailed instructions on this process, please? Thanks.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: need help changing from WEP to WPA ENCRYPTION
jonjones1
Legend

@Mysticgirl96 wrote:

When you say 

"Now you have to change the connection on all the connected devices to wpa2 and enter the pre-shared key that you set on the router"

How exactly do you do that ?  For wireless connections such as phones and laptops, do you just "forget "the network and then try to reconnect?  Or do you have to go into wireless set up and manually change things? 

https://www.verizon.com/about/sites/default/files/fios-qgr-userguide140925.pdf

In the user manual under wireless it states it’s already set by default to WPA2 so no changes are necessary.

if you have not changed the wireless password you use the one supplied on the router.

when a tablet or phone tries to connect wirelessly you look for your network SSID select it and then enter the password to connect. It’s really easy.

good luck 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Login to you router as admin and change the stting

enter the address 192.168.1.1 in the address line of your browser and hit enter

If you never changed it the userid is admin and the password is password or password1

Select the wireless tab

select the advanced security settings tab

select the wpa/wpa2 radio button

select authentication method pre shared key

For pre shared key select ascii and type in a phrase that you can remember

select encryption alogorith tkip and aes

leav the group key interval as is

select apply

exit the router admin

Now you have to change the connection on all the connected devices to wpa2 and enter the pre-shared key that you set on the router

Hubrisnxs
Legend

I remember having trouble setting mine with non standard number of characters like 9 or 12,   so if you have a problem connecting with the password you created - try using standard wpa numbers of characters. 

Light Security (8 characters/64 bits)
Minimum Security (20 characters/160 bits)
Maximum WPA Security (63 characters/504 bits)

http://www.yellowpipe.com/yis/tools/WPA_key/generator.php

Drchris2

Can u help me with this or should I call in ?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Drchris wrote:

Can u help me with this or should I call in ?

What do you need help with? Viafax999 provided step by step instructions earlier in this thread, have you read them and tried them? If not, please do so, and if it still doesn't work, then come back with the specifics of what you tried that did not work and I am sure someone can help you past the problem.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Tthe instructions are there in the internet network support topics.  Note you should try and use WPA2 if your devices support it.

http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/fiosinternet/networking/setup/setup.htm

specifically here

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSInternet/Networking/Setup/Security/125521.htm

malfonso187

Need WEP key

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@malfonso187 wrote:

Need WEP key

It's on a sticker located on the bottom-front of the router.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
0 Likes
Mysticgirl96
Enthusiast - Level 1

When you say 

"Now you have to change the connection on all the connected devices to wpa2 and enter the pre-shared key that you set on the router"

How exactly do you do that ?  For wireless connections such as phones and laptops, do you just "forget "the network and then try to reconnect?  Or do you have to go into wireless set up and manually change things? 

0 Likes