need help connecting to internet via ethernet cable
mrsnoris

I can connect to the wifi fine but when I try to connect via ethernet cable I get this popup

http://imgur.com/3qVsTWR

I've tried the user and pass to the modem, to my verizon account, wifi stuff and none works, I just get "Error 651: The modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error.)

0 Likes
Re: need help connecting to internet via ethernet cable
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

First, FiOS does not use modems.  The device you have is a router, not a modem.

Second, there is no user name or password used with Ethernet connections.  It looks like you might have some type of non-standard connection management software on your computer.  If so, remove it. Another possibility is you're using the "modem" connection features in Windows.  If so, don't.  You're not connecting to a modem.

Windows will connect just fine without any extra software.  Windows should be configured as a DHCP client so it gets an IP address and other network settings from the router.

What version of Windows are you using?

Good Luck.

mrsnoris

it's not actually connected ot the router, it's connected to a panel on the wall with a wall ethernet jack thing, I'm not sure what it's called.  My landlord set it up in everyones room so they could access the internet.   That's probably the problem then?  I'm not sure how to fix it though.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mrsnoris wrote:

it's not actually connected ot the router, it's connected to a panel on the wall with a wall ethernet jack thing, I'm not sure what it's called.  My landlord set it up in everyones room so they could access the internet.   That's probably the problem then?  I'm not sure how to fix it though.

Do you get an IP address that starts 192.168.1.        ?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'd still like to know what version of Windows you're using.

You need to figure out if the jack on the wall is actually connected to the LAN port on the router.  It may be connected to an Ethernet switch and the switch is connected to the router; if so that's okay.  But, there has to be a path between the router and the computer.

Does the "link" light on your computer turn on when you plug the cable in?  Does it indicate the speed (100M or 1G)?

What is the router model?

If there are any other relevant details about your setup, please share them.  We only know what you tell us.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

This might help with the problem you are seeing, especially if you used to use Verizon DSL a long time ago.

Go to Start, open the Control Panel. From there, select Network Connections. If you do not see this, select "Network and Internet" then select the Network and Sharing Center. From there, select "Network Connections."

In Network connections you should see multiple network adapters, including an Ethernet adapter, your Wireless adapter, and a Broadband connection. Right click on the Broadband connection and delete it.

From here, you should be able to wire up your computer to the router and receive an Internet connection. If you do not, make sure your Wired adapter is set to DHCP, otherwise known as Automatic Configuration. Your network adapter should auto configure both IPV4 and IPV6.

Let me know if you still need help or any more explaining.

0 Likes