new install question
vartanarsen

hi all .  today i learned that comcast is starting data caps on my state so i am deciding to switch over to fios internet .  i’m an internet only customer . g question is about installation .  i have my own model and router i have been using and my house is all coax wired up.  i prefer for my installer to keep the entire install out of the house meaning no drilling etc.  will the installer be able to just hook up to my existing coax running into the house? then just hand me the ont so i can plug the existing coax into the ont on my own? and then later i put my own ethernet from ont to my own router?

0 Likes
Re: new install question
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon technician will pull a fiber to an ONT, and the ONT needs to be installed indoor in most situations. Even if the ONT is installed outside, the technician will unlikely to run a coax from the ONT to the router, instead, the technician will run an Ethernet cable from the ONT to either your router or a Verizon router.

Verizon FiOS is fiber based. Not coaxial based unless we are talking about MoCA or Linear TV signal.

Re: new install question
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. There will have to be some entry into the house. Even if the ONT is installed outside you will need to run power cable into the house along with an ethernet. You can’t use your modem with coax. Modems use DOCSIS and ONTs use MoCA. If you want to use coax you will need to use the Verizon router and subscribe to 100/100. Any speeds higher requires ethernet. And if you want to use your own router you will need ethernet anyway.