new router, internet keeps dropping
jmd16

I installed a new router (Quantum Gateway) yesteday and now my internet keeps dropping.  I work from home so it is very noticeable.  My work phone (VOIP) disconnects in the middle of conference calls and my Citrix and Remote desktop connections keep dropping.  I'm not really tech savvy, have reset and rebooted everything.   I have a network extender upstairs in my office which is what my work router is plugged into and then my computer and phone into that.  Anyone have any suggestions? 

0 Likes
Re: new router, internet keeps dropping
jonjones1
Legend

@jmd16 wrote:

I installed a new router (Quantum Gateway) yesteday and now my internet keeps dropping.  I work from home so it is very noticeable.  My work phone (VOIP) disconnects in the middle of conference calls and my Citrix and Remote desktop connections keep dropping.  I'm not really tech savvy, have reset and rebooted everything.   I have a network extender upstairs in my office which is what my work router is plugged into and then my computer and phone into that.  Anyone have any suggestions? 

Your work router is upstairs? First off only one dhcp lease is granted from Fios so your Quantum is hooked to your ONT. Is this via coaxial (big black cable wire) or through ethernet? (RJ-45 telephone cord) which plugs into the wan port of the Verizon Quantum Gateway Router . 

Now if using MOCA coaxial cable you can place another router upstairs in access point  mode (APmode) this then can be used as another connection point for a hard wired ethernet connection to your computer, it also can be used to plug in your voip phone. However I would hook the ATA device into the primary router with cordless phone and base phone. Then install a extension cordless phone upstairs. This way it should do its purpose.

now the dropping of your internet could be for many reasons of which one can be a loose connection on the router, at the ont, or even the pole.

Lastly you never said what service level you have? Or your connection?

0 Likes
jmd16

I have FIOS and the new router was to bring my network up to 75mps.  The old router never game me any troubles but I just agreed to a new 2-year contract with Verizon so the new router was included.  The work router just gets me connected to my work network w/o a VPN connection.  I have a Netgear wireless extender upstairs which is what my work router is connected to. 

@jonjones wrote:

@jmd16 wrote:

Your work router is upstairs? First off only one dhcp lease is granted from Fios so your Quantum is hooked to your ONT. Is this via coaxial (big black cable wire) or through ethernet? (RJ-45 telephone cord) which plugs into the wan port of the Verizon Quantum Gateway Router . 

Now if using MOCA coaxial cable you can place another router upstairs in access point  mode (APmode) this then can be used as another connection point for a hard wired ethernet connection to your computer, it also can be used to plug in your voip phone. However I would hook the ATA device into the primary router with cordless phone and base phone. Then install a extension cordless phone upstairs. This way it should do its purpose.

now the dropping of your internet could be for many reasons of which one can be a loose connection on the router, at the ont, or even the pole.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@jmd16 wrote:

I have FIOS and the new router was to bring my network up to 75mps.  The old router never game me any troubles but I just agreed to a new 2-year contract with Verizon so the new router was included.  The work router just gets me connected to my work network w/o a VPN connection.  I have a Netgear wireless extender upstairs which is what my work router is connected to. 

@jonjones wrote:

@jmd16 wrote:

Read my reply again. So you have 75/75 Fios broadband. How is it hooked from your ont? Is it a coaxial cable into the router? Is is a ethernet cable into the wan port of the Quantum? How you are connected is important.

if you are using a Netgear Extender then you did pair it to work with the Quantum router? They don’t just work out of the box. They must be paired.

if you use a Verizon extender it supposedly is simple hook up. But I don’t use the Verizon junk but Netgear 

0 Likes