new router question
avemaria92
Contributor - Level 1

We're still on the old initial router from 2006 when we first got Verizon.. it's limited to 25Mbps wireless output..  I just upgraded to 50Mbps internet..  are we bound to use the newer router which costs $100 or will just using a wireless access point for 1/5th the cost do the same thing?  Cable is wired throughout the house.. I'm not sure exaclty what the router itself does.. does it just transmit data wirelessly for net use or is there something else we need it for?  What is everyone else using for home wireless FIOS?

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: new router question
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The old router uses 802.11g.  This provides WiFi speeds up to 54Mbps. You should be able to go faster than 25Mbps, you may want to try adjusting the channel.  See one of the many threads on WiFi speed or the DSL Reports FiOS FAQ for details.

The new router is 802.11n and can operated up to 130Mbps.  With 50Mbps service, this is better.

The new router has a more memory and a faster processor, which helps it better handle more connected devices.  I've not noticed any difference due to this, however I didn't have as many connected devices when I had the old router.

Many people, myself included, have found the new router to have less range.

The new router has gigabit Ethernet ports, which means wired devices can talk to each other much faster.  If you do any in home networking of wired devices, this is very useful.

You can add another router or access point to provide or extend WiFI service.

You can contact Verizon to switch the ONT's Internet connection from coax to Ethernet.  This will allow you to use any router you want.  However, a Verizon router is "required" if you have FiOS TV service.  There are ways to use a non-Verizon router with TV service, however the network topology gets somewhat complex.

Consult the DSL Reports FiOS FAQ for details:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios

Good Luck

avemaria92
Contributor - Level 1

i guess i didn't really think through what it would take to actually have faster internet.. i double checked and the router I have is the MI424-WR which we got in 2006 when they first ran Fios here..  I checked the settings and it says Wireless Mode:Mixed accepts 802.11b and 802.11g connections.

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 1545 from 2009 with a Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card
which runs 802.11b or 56g

I've tried changing the channels on the router to no avail.. I get 25mbps max on every channel..  I know the speed increase took affect because my upload speed matches my download speed now at around 25mbps..  I just can't figure out why i'm capped at 25 on my download speed.  I know i should probably get a new router but i hate to do that if it's only my computer itself.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If your computer is 802.11b/g, 54Mbps is it's maximum speed.

It's possible there is a setting on your computer that is limited it's speed to 25Mbps, but that sounds odd to me.  Some WiFi cards do behavior oddly, I suggest  you spend some time with Google to see if you can find ways to tune your card.

If your computer has a wired Ethernet port, you can use that to get 50Mbps speed with either the new or old router.  Even if you don't want to do this all the time, it's a good way to test your connection.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the old router rev A-D can only do WEP which is half duplex 54 mbs, which means at MOST you would get low 20's, MAYBE mid 20's    on average most people on WEP get 14-20mbs

If you have rev F verizon router, then that's a PRE-N which can get upto 65 MBS IF you have it configured for WPA2.

And then the newest latest and greatest Rev I router is, as mentioned, upto 130 on WPA2.   Any of those routers though, if you were configured with WEP you would get less than 25mbs out of it.

So you're router revision is important and what type of security you are using. 

BradenMcDaniel
Enthusiast - Level 3

As others have mentioned, the latest router is 802.11n-capable with a maximum speed of 130 Mb/s. This is old technology by today's standards (though not as old as what you currently have). The WiFi on the new router also has a pretty lousy range, in my experience. For me, the far more compelling reason to get the new router was its gigabit ethernet ports. But that should only matter to you if you have two devices connected to the router talking to one another (or you're paying for a speed tier above 100 Mb/s).

Whether you have the new router or your old one, it's easy to turn off the router's WiFi and add your own access point. But, a better solution for you, since your house is wired for cable, might be the WCB3000N. Verizon will sell you one here; however, it does cost almost as much as the router. But if you want improved WiFi, the WCB3000N will do that much better than the new router. And you can indeed buy a cheaper access point that will make the same sort of improvement  to your WiFi capability; but with the WCB3000N, you're paying for the ability to plug directly into a coaxial cable (rather than needing an ethernet connection).

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

ON those that don't support WPA2 Verizon now has a free upgrade (to what model it doesn't say.  see http://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/fiosinternet/networking/setup/actiontecmi424/125...

I know the ver A doesn't support WPA2 but thought the B-D did, but either way if wpa2 doesn't show on the menu consider making this upgrade.  Or at least use WPA security.

THe A-f defautl to WEP.  As you said you need to do WPA or WPA2 to get somewhat better speed.  Note the F does wireless N (draft) and with wpa2 will do better speed.  With the ver G and Ver I doing much better BUT only with WPA2/WPA.

0 Likes
avemaria92
Contributor - Level 1

I just checked and my hardware version is D on the router..  (i knew the thing is old but still wanted to see if I could get around it).. i currently have it set up for WEP, but in looking at the advanced security settings, it seems to also allow WPA and WPA2.  I can try to switch it to WPA2 and see what happens.. I don't expect much from it but i'll report back if it changes anything..

another thing I noticed is that Verizon charges $99 for the new router through your account, but if you go to the store page it's only $79.

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayProducts

0 Likes
avemaria92
Contributor - Level 1

no that didn't work either.. i'm still limited to 22mbps right now..  so it's either the old router or my 5 year old laptop wireless card..  i'll probably wind up replacing both.

0 Likes