newbie questions
admkshr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi I just recently got Verizon FIOS, and I also have Verizon Security suite. Could someone please give me info on the following issues:

1) Should the connection to the router/internet be set to public or private?

2) Should network discovery and sharing be turned on or off?

3) Since I have Verizon Security Suite running, is it okay to turn off Windows Vista's firewall and anti-virus programs?

My situation is :  I have only one computer (a laptop), a modem, and a Verizon router. No one uses the computer but me. I have no printer.

I guess my main concerns are that I want all the settings to be correct and to be at the maximum effectiveness in preventing others from possibly hacking in to my wireless connection.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: newbie questions
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

1. Since this is your home connection, this would be "private"

2. Network discovery and sharing is so you can network several computers in your home. since you only have one computer this should be off

3. YES, YES, YES.   Did I say YES? Yes I did.  YES. Smiley Wink  NEVER run more than one Anti-virus on ANY computer. More than one anti virus will cause you nothing but problems. It may even crash your computer (I speak from simi personal experiance. My brother did this and I spent days trying to recover his files), In fact, you not only want to turn off the firewall, you want to REMOVE the Vista anti virus altogether

Message Edited by spacedebris on 07-29-2009 08:01 AM

View solution in original post

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

1. Since this is your home connection, this would be "private"

2. Network discovery and sharing is so you can network several computers in your home. since you only have one computer this should be off

3. YES, YES, YES.   Did I say YES? Yes I did.  YES. Smiley Wink  NEVER run more than one Anti-virus on ANY computer. More than one anti virus will cause you nothing but problems. It may even crash your computer (I speak from simi personal experiance. My brother did this and I spent days trying to recover his files), In fact, you not only want to turn off the firewall, you want to REMOVE the Vista anti virus altogether

Message Edited by spacedebris on 07-29-2009 08:01 AM
0 Likes
admkshr
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks for your help and for the quick response!
0 Likes