newly signed up, still have some issues
lipwak
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I got connected to Fios 50/50 last week. I used to have Cablevision with about 30 down and 5 up but I left them as I had too many short outages, 100 since March.

I am noticing good upload and download speeds now but I am also noticing that some sites like YouTube still stall. Most are short. Also video has gotten out of sync with audo for the YouTube stuff I've watched but that may be the fault of the originator, a live webcast that's been going on all this past weekend.

Do people still have problems with YouTube or other sites?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

John

0 Likes
Re: newly signed up, still have some issues
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Video streaming sites are always subject to spotty performance at times.  I've had YouTube go slow on occasion.   The pay sites like Netflix, etc. have special arrangements with carriers (Vz included) to locally distrubte the streaming source within their networks to insure good performance, others like YouTube may or may not be doing that.  In general though, I usually have good performance to most major sites on the Internet from FiOS.

lipwak
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks! Will see if there's anything else.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

To verify your Internet is up to what you are paying do the following:

1) Connect computer to rotuer via ethernet connection

2) Run speedtest to speedtest.verizon.net

This should yield results at least as good as what you are paying for.

Take note that you have to use the verizon speedtest site.

This stays within the verizon network.

lipwak
Enthusiast - Level 2

Interesting. I probably am, at least that's what speedtest.net tells me doing it the usual way (computer to router wirelessly.) Why is it preferable to do this test staying within the Verizon network?

0 Likes
lipwak
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thinking about it some more, I see the rationale. If speeds are good within the Verizon network, than when they're not, it's issues outside of that network which is out of the control of Verizon. Thanks.