no or slow internet connection on my wireless network
wmg

i have a dell inspiron laptop running vista and half the time i can't even connect to my fios wireless network - i can be 5 feet away from the router with excellent signal strength and not be able to connect to my wireless network but i can connect to my next door neighbor's unsecure network with no problem  - any ideas because if i can't resolve will need to go back to brighthouse  

0 Likes
Re: no or slow internet connection on my wireless network
outspoken311
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was just set up with fios (March 4th, 2010)  also and having trouble dropping wireless constantly. Never had this issue with my Netgear Router (which was fairly cheap) when I was connected to Comcast. I have been on the phone with Verizon at least 15 times and get a different answer every single time. They even tried to say it was a issue with my computer (which is only 6 months old and never have had a problem before March 4th). You think that they would Google it and figure out the problem and solution. So the few times I am connected I have been doing research on this Issue and I think I found the problem and solution (hopefully). The cheap Actiontec router that they give you is somehow not working with my Windows Vista 64 or from what I have read Windows Vista period. So I think I may have found a website with a few things you can try and it also has some links to some hotfixes with Microsoft. So far so good I will let you guys know how it goes.... Here is the web address to this exact issue including the way to maybe fix the situation Good Luck... Let me know if this works for you.

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/669945-vista-connects-wireless-router-but.html

0 Likes
outspoken311
Enthusiast - Level 2

Smiley Happy So I am so pleased just a update about the issue about dropping wireless internet service intermittently. As of yesterday I have not dropped service once since doing the steps in the above link. So I think it has worked. Also I wanted everyone else who reads this and clicks on that link, after you click the link make sure you scroll down to see the the question and the answers. So too everyone who keeps getting different answers and wasting several hours calling Tech Support, just use the link above and it has several solutions to this problem.Smiley Happy I know it worked for me. So I hope it works for you.

0 Likes
jgfinnegan1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently switched from Time Warner to Fios and have had some issues with my wireless network.  The only thing is that I am running windows XP, not vista.  I have had very similar problems.  All of a sudden the wifi light goes out on my dell latitude, and then I have to reboot to recover.  I have also had other instances where the wifi light stays on, but there is no connectivity to the router.  It just kind of dies out.  I read in the forums to try to set the channel to 11, instead of auto.  I have tried that.  It has become a little more stable, but I still have lost the wifi connection from time to time.

Since then I am running a direct connection into the router, but that is only temporary.  I need to get this fixed.  If I am hard wired into the router like I am now, the speed tests show the download speed to be 24mbps.  However the upload speed is nowhere near the 25mbps they said I would receive.  More like 12 or 13.  However when I'm on my wireless connection it goes down to 8mbps download speed.  That is some dropoff.  I know wireless is a slowpoint, but that is real bad.  And then to top it off, if I am logged into my work vpn machine via wireless, the connection speed goes to a whopping 1.23mbps.  That is just unacceptable.  It is much slower than my time warner connection.

Anybody have any suggestions on what I should try.  I have a linksys wireless router.  Maybe I should try to use that instead.  Does anyone feel that the combo router that Verizon supplies is not adequate enough to service this.

jackwong
Enthusiast - Level 3

My friend have this problem as well but they don't use wireless much so they don't really bother to contact Verizon.

I am going to get FIOS as well and I assume I will have this problem...

0 Likes