no retention of long-time customers
bobfox1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been a loyal Verizon Triple Play customer for over 9 years. 

There are online offers that have MUCH better services for a LOT lower cost. When I contact Verizon FIOS, I am told that these offers are for new customers, and I, with over 9 years as a customer, can't get the advertised service.

I asked to speak with the Retention Department. The rep told me there isn't a Retention Department, and I'm not eligible for the advertised services.

I asked about my switching to Comcast, then coming back to Verizon FIOS as a new customer. How long do I need to be with Comcast? The rep said there isn't any fixed time that I need to be with Comcast.

Really? Do you want me to leave you and go to Comcast? What if I like Comcast? You have lost a customer. How you have to offer a special deal to a new customer just to maintain the same number of customers. Why not give me the new customer deal, to keep me? That's a lower cost than providing new equipment and installation to a new customer.

It's less expensive to retain me. But, no, you want me to go to Comcast. Are you crazy? Isn't it better to retain current customers than to try to find new customers? Wow!

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: no retention of long-time customers
jonjones1
Legend

@Bassman3 wrote:

New FIOS customer here.  Starting to regret leaving Comcast.  

You get a 30 day total customer satisfaction guarantee so you can always switch back if need be. In fact never sign contracts for these services. Pay month to month. Then just dump them and return to other services. This way you have leverage on consumer pricing.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Fuichefino
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would call back and ask to speak to a Retention department or you can say "Cancel Service" when asked by the prompt the reason for your call and then they transfer you.

It all depends on who you get from FIOS.  I too contacted them with the fact that new customers were getting a better deal and i wanted the same. All i did was call FIOS help number, when prompted to say what is the reason for your call, you say "cancel service" which should get you to someone in the retention department. I was able to get it down from 84 to 59.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unfortunately, all providers treat existing customers differently than new.

Either because existing customers don't have other options or most don't wnat to play the jump provider game every two years.

Another option would be to get new service to your address in someone else's name (spouse, partner or family member who lives with you)

Dougp1122
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been a FIOS customer for 10 years. Last month I called looking to update all my equipment (6 TV's). I wasn't looking for a new customer deal, but just some sort of discount. I asked to speak with a supervisor. They said they would have to call me back. I arranged a date and time. Never recieved a return call. I am frustrated by the equipment cost, especially with 10 year old gear. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Dougp1122 wrote:

I have been a FIOS customer for 10 years. Last month I called looking to update all my equipment (6 TV's). I wasn't looking for a new customer deal, but just some sort of discount. I asked to speak with a supervisor. They said they would have to call me back. I arranged a date and time. Never recieved a return call. I am frustrated by the equipment cost, especially with 10 year old gear. 

Verizon is notorious for not returning calls. However your options are to get service from another provider and see if it pans out. But don’t sign any contracts. You then can play the new customer pricing game or you can call Verizon up and choose cancel services. A retention agent may see it worthwhile to give you newer equipment and better pricing. But if not remember Verizon does not bluff. So if you have another service then cancel right then and there. Go to the other service.

verizon will be sending you emails and letters after a short time begging for you to come back. Then make your decision.

DreadedCustomer
Contributor - Level 1

Ask Verizon Wireless...

...I'm with T-Mobile, now.

I have the option to pay the fees to dump them on demand.

Now, Fios wants to play the game.  If I wanted to keep my same rate, I had to drop my speed from 75 to 50.  Maybe they are two seperate companies, now. But I see only one VZ on the boards and my money is in TMUS...

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@DreadedCustomer wrote:

Ask Verizon Wireless...

...I'm with T-Mobile, now.

I have the option to pay the fees to dump them on demand.

Now, Fios wants to play the game.  If I wanted to keep my same rate, I had to drop my speed from 75 to 50.  Maybe they are two seperate companies, now. But I see only one VZ on the boards and my money is in TMUS...

Little confused? Verizon wireless is part of Corporate Verizon traded on the stock exchange. They have other spin offs as well. Bell System, Bell Atlantic, NYNEX, and other various corporate names over the last 125+ years.

If the downgrading of your service was unacceptable to you I would have just walk with your wallet as you evidently did with your wireless service.

T-Mobile in my area is terrible, not going to try and sell you on switching back to Verizon. At present Verizon has the best coverage which everyone agrees on. Maybe not that clown of a CEO John Legere but hey it’s his business to hawk his own company.

Yes Verizon costs more, that is also true. But I had them from the first day they started selling cellular back when it was Bell Atlantic NYNEX Mobile. Verizon was a name change back in 2000. I have had I think only had to call them for account related issues maybe 4 times in 35 years. So they are worth it to me.

Verizon now is considered the best in broadband, in fact their gigabyte service where available can’t be beat for value for the dollar. Their prices were $600-$1,000 for speed not even near a gigabyte. Now $70 on up but nowhere near the old pricing.

When Verizon screws up I go after them, however I don’t have any bad issues. And when I had issues they took care of them.

please remember they are in business to make MONEY. so keep that in mind when calling or writing or chatting with them.

0 Likes
ezfios

Interesting conversation.

I pulled the trigger today and made fios an offer.  Either give me new customer discount or cancel my service without trying to upsell.

So my service is cancelled for this weekend.

So I asked the rep, how long do I need to wait until I'm considered a new customer by Verizon. 

She said one week!   I guess I'll put that to the test, but to be honest I don't need cable and my LTE on my phone gives me all the access I need to streaming services.

So I'm willing to wait to be a new customer, but if is a week.  It means everyone is cancelling these days.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

You may be surprised at the time frame. Some say weeks others say 30 days or more.

however if you do sign up as a new customer remember when your done you have to return everything. And if you order online you save the install fees. Call up or chat for service and bingo you pay $100

additionally don’t sign any contracts. And internet only can be had for very cheap pricing so think about it. They have gigabyte for $69.99 for two years without contract.

that is a good deal.

you will need to go through the whole credit check again (hard check) and new router (the rental fee is going up from $10 to $12 in September 2018) 

and if you need speeds above 100/100 you might get a new ONT and if you do it will be ethernet only.

best of luck on your service

0 Likes
Nalini1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Good luck with any kind of “deal” with Verizon.  I tried and only wasted my time.  So I signed up again at new rate, 30.00 more than before.  But wait!  There’s a 100.00 gift card!  It came today and it is not a visa gift card as in the past, it’s a Verizon “gift” card that I can use to pay my inflated bill.  This is one of the worst examples of indifference toward customers I have ever experienced.