not all devices connected to network showing up under DHCP connections (Actiontec MI42WR-Gen3I)
pacoinmass

I received a new router today (old one was losing connection to the Internet every few weeks).  Disconnected old one and connected new one.  Can connect to the Internet with our devices, however I want to:

1.  assign static IP addresses through the router (old router assigned static IP addresses to devices on our home network) and

2.  name/rename host names so that I can easily identify devices (again, had done so easily with old router)

I'm having the following issues:

Under the My Network screen, router tells me 23 devices are connected but won't let me rename many of them.

When I go to the IP Distribution screen and list DHCP connections, not all of the devices show up (even though I know some are active and should show up).  On the old router, all devices woudl show up.

How do I force the DHCP Connections screen to show all devices?

Nothing seems to have worked to allow me to rename devices or force all devices to be listed under the DHCP Connections screen.

My setup:

coax cable to routher coax input

LAN 1 connected to Netgear Ethernet Switch (used to hardwire NAS drives, Apple extremes, etc.)

Apple Extremes set to bridged mode and used to create wireless network (wireless radio on router turned off)

Would one solution be to:

1.  disconnect the router from my network.

2.  perform a factory reset.

3.  connect one computer directly to the router.

4.  manually assign new static connections (and names) one at a time.

5.  connect router to the rest of the network once all static connections have been manually entered.

Would the above steps then require rebooting all networked devices?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: not all devices connected to network showing up under DHCP connections (Actiontec MI42WR-Gen3I)
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

As I recall, you can't change the name of a device on the Actiontec until it is set as a static DHCP lease.

As far as why they don't appear in the DHCP list, you may need to reset / reconnect some of your devices.  They may be using the IP address assigned by the old router.  Until they request an IP address from the new router, it won't know about them.

If both the old and new router are the same model and version, you may be able to save the configuration from the old one and restore it on the new one.

Good Luck.

0 Likes