outgoing email blocked
Oboe

My daughter is currently studying at University of Cape Town in South Africa this semester.  She uses Outlook to send and receive mail from her Verizon account.  incoming.verizon.net and outgoing.verizon.net through port 25 with authintication checked .  She had been able to send and receive for the 1st week or so that she was there, but the last couple of days she has received this message.

'Your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).  The server responded: 571 Outbound email delivery from 196.36.153.134 is currently blocked. 090803'

Her friend's Mac is sending and receiving through Verizon without a problem.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: outgoing email blocked
Justin46
Legend

@Oboe wrote:

Is is possible with Verizon to send email from non-verizon provided IP's?

Sure. However, the local ISP she is attached to may block it.

Here is an example: I have a house with Verizon FiOS service. I have another house in an AT&T area where I have DSL service. When I first got the DSL service I could receive emails just fine using my normal Verizon email definitions. However, I could not send any emails using that account, but I could send emails if I used the AT&T server. I contacted AT&T tech support, and the guy was able to fix the problem in about 30 seconds, by default AT&T blocks (at least in my area 2 years ago when I first got the DSL service) using a nn-AT&T email server for sending, apparently to combat email IP address spoofing or maybe other issues.

Now I have no idea what they are doing in South Africa, but it may very well be that just contacting the ISP and asking for a block to be lifted may get it fixed quickly. If they won't, or that is not the problem, she should be able to change her definitions in her email client to receive using the Verizon server, but to send using the local ISP's email server.

Keller, TX 76248

View solution in original post

i_like_turtles
Contributor - Level 1

Her superior computing device may be set up correctly and your daughters may be not.

I would open her superior computing device's email client and copy down all of the SMTP settings and just copy paste it into your daughters machine.

0 Likes
VZ_Brian
Contributor - Level 2
Have you deleted your daughter's previous Outlook accounts?  If not, you should make sure that her Verizon account is set as the "default".  If it is the default, then go to www.verizon.net and have her login to Verizon webmail.  If that fails, you will have to call tech support at 888-553-1555 to have her password reset.  If she is able to log on at verizon.net, then the problem is most likely settings related in Outlook. 
0 Likes
Oboe
She can access, send, and receive via verizon's webmail.  She previously has been able to send and receive via Outlook using verizon's incoming/outgoing mail servers.  No settings in Outlook were changed.  In the US she had no problem connecting and sending from our home Verizon FIOS connection.  When she first got to South Africa she was able to use Outlook for about a week.  Now she gets the "blocked" message when she tries to send via Outlook.  Is it possible that she is now connecting to an IP address that is blocked by Verizon?
0 Likes
VZ_Brian
Contributor - Level 2
You can check that by running a tracert to outgoing.verizon.net, but what I would do first is delete/rebuild the outlook profile.  Also, is she getting this msg when sending to multiple addresses, or just one? 
0 Likes
VZ_Brian
Contributor - Level 2
Forgot one thing.  Try using port 587 instead of 25. 
0 Likes
Oboe

By rebuilding her profile to you mean delete the email account and add a new one .... or do you mean rebuild her whole inbox, etc?

0 Likes
VZ_Brian
Contributor - Level 2
I sent you message.  Please let me know if you received. 
0 Likes
agent
Enthusiast - Level 2
A note on that, i would just go into the outlook page, and go to [tools] then to [accounts] select the account and [delete it] then re-enter the email settings with the incoming and outgoing settings, and see if that works. also check your message from FIOSTechBrian as well. Let us know how that works out for you.
0 Likes
Oboe

Just heard back from my daughter.  Her limited Internet access as well as our 9 hour time difference gets in the way of speedy conversation.

It turns out that the friend with the Mac is being blocked also.  He just hadn't sent anything for a few days and didn't know.  So in summary now we have:

2 computers with Verizon email accounts.  One is Windows Vista and the other is a Mac.

Both computers could send and receive via incoming.verizon.net and outgoing.verizon.net until a few days ago (they've been there 2 weeks)

Both computers can still receive email but outgoing email is blocked. 

They are able to use webmail.

I have told her to try changing to port 587 and if that fails to run a tracert to outgoing.verizon.net

I will post when she shares her results.

0 Likes