Re: outgoing email blocked
Oboe

My daughter tried changing the port ... didn't help.  Should she stay with 587 or switch back to 25?  She sent me the tracert results as a screen shot in a word file.  Won't copy and past here.  Suggestions?  Or do I just need to type it in?

0 Likes
VZ_Brian
Contributor - Level 2

Oboe wrote:

My daughter tried changing the port ... didn't help.  Should she stay with 587 or switch back to 25?  She sent me the tracert results as a screen shot in a word file.  Won't copy and past here.  Suggestions?  Or do I just need to type it in?

Have her go back to port 25.  I'm starting to think that the issue comes from the university's firewall.  There has to be a student helpdesk that can verify whether or not they have blocked our outgoing port/server/domain.  I know that the service was once working, but they may have either created a new exception in the firewall, or may have a "smart" firewall that creates it's own exceptions. 

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

I just noticed something. 9 hour difference......Is her computer physically in South Africa?  If so, does verizon even have service down there or is she on another service provider.

If she is on another service provider, She may need to contact them for their outgoing smtp server. and set up the email to use their outgoing system.

The reason I say this is for example. you have a comcast email but are hooked up to verizon internet. the comcast smtp server will not work. Your comcast email would need the verizon smtp server for outgoing email. The schools system may be similar.

Hope I made sence

Message Edited by spacedebris on 08-05-2009 12:23 PM
0 Likes
Oboe

Yes, her computer is in South Africa.  Yes, I doubt she is using Verizon service.  I think she has probably used more than one service since being down there.  She uses wireless hotspots on campus as well as Internet cafe's plus she pays for Internet Service at her dorm which does not receive service from the school.  I will check to see where she was able to send from before and not now.  I got the impression that she was able to send from all of the locations before and none now.  I will also have her check with her ISP for an smtp server.

Is is possible with Verizon to send email from non-verizon provided IP's?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Oboe wrote:

Is is possible with Verizon to send email from non-verizon provided IP's?

Sure. However, the local ISP she is attached to may block it.

Here is an example: I have a house with Verizon FiOS service. I have another house in an AT&T area where I have DSL service. When I first got the DSL service I could receive emails just fine using my normal Verizon email definitions. However, I could not send any emails using that account, but I could send emails if I used the AT&T server. I contacted AT&T tech support, and the guy was able to fix the problem in about 30 seconds, by default AT&T blocks (at least in my area 2 years ago when I first got the DSL service) using a nn-AT&T email server for sending, apparently to combat email IP address spoofing or maybe other issues.

Now I have no idea what they are doing in South Africa, but it may very well be that just contacting the ISP and asking for a block to be lifted may get it fixed quickly. If they won't, or that is not the problem, she should be able to change her definitions in her email client to receive using the Verizon server, but to send using the local ISP's email server.

Keller, TX 76248

Oboe

My daughter contacted "RedButton" who provides wireless Internet to her dorm room.  It is too far from campus to receive the University's Internet. 

RedButton instructed her to use "authentication" with her outgoing Verizon server which she was already doing and which did not work.  They do not think they are blocking anything.

If that didn't work they gave her the option of using their server along with a user name and password.  They say that this is not a "recommended" solution and is not supported.  Interesting since it is their server.  They said that due to policy changes this solution may not work in the future.

So for now my daughter's problem is solved.  But depending on RedButton it may not stay solved.  We still don't know why or where her email was being blocked to the Verizon server.

0 Likes