paying for 15 Mbps download, getting 1-2 Mbps
LMSman
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi all,

I'm in Herndon, VA, and paying for the 15 / 5 plan, but for the past few days have only been getting 1-2 Mbps download speeds. Aside from noticing the slow connection while online, I've confirmed this every day at several times a day on speedtest.net.

I did the "live chat" with someone which was useless, as the person led me through the basic troubleshooting I had already tried (i.e. unplug the router, go to the "optimization" Verizon site, and reboot). This did not help (as expected), and I'm still paying for service I'm not getting.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, EB

Re: paying for 15 Mbps download, getting 1-2 Mbps
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried reboot your ONT, or having Verizon do it on their end? If you wish to try a reboot, locate where your Battery Backup Unit is and remove AC Power from it. From there, disconnect the battery and wait 30 seconds. Plug the battery back in and then return AC power to the Battery Backup Unit. This will reboot the ONT. If speeds are still slow, post back.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

I have recently come across an easier way to reboot the ONT for those that are interested. What you do is find your Battery Backup and there will be an "alarm silence" button on it. On most models of ONT (unfortunatly I dont know which models do not work with this but they are supposed to be few in number) what you do is press and hold the alarm silence button for 10 seconds. That is supposed to reset the ONT. I checked on my ONT (model 612) and it worked like a charm. Its a lot easier than disconnecting the battery.

droberts3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been experiencing similar issues in Sterling, VA with 35/35 business FIOS service acting line 15/2 service. Yesterday I got someone at the Fiber Solutions Center (after hours on hold) to rebuild my circuit and re-provision my ONT. This solved the problem. I tried to dig for the root cause and I was told there "was a missing cross connect". This is strange since the service is several years old and has been rock solid until the past couple months. I don't know what causes a "cross connect" to go missing.  I had already rebooted my ONT with no change in the results.

Give them a call and try to get them to rebuild your circuit.

kerryamar

Did you get this resolved ?

0 Likes