paying for 150/150, only receiving 1000kbps (wired), verizon throttling.
Not applicable

i just switched over to fios from time warner due to cable issues, i had 25/25 with time warner and it worked amazing for 3 years without any issues or buffering during youtube/netflix/twitch streaming and zero lag during gaming, i was able to play video games and stream them while my siblings were on netflix. before i go any further the first thing you guys will ask is if im wired, yes im wired with cat6 on my gaming devices and laptop when i need to use it.

it seems like ive made the biggest mistake switching to fios, my gaming has been lagging/skipping whenever online on both ps4 and xboxone and on multiple games, some games in particular i am receiving packet loss warnings and getting kicked by hosts due to the fact that im lagging, my livestream viewers cant even view me anymore without the feed buffering nonstop. i went to a 150mbps which is 5x the speed i had previously only to discover you only receive this speed on speedtest.net and the verizon web services, anything else i try to use it on barely sees 5-10 mbps! even while wired, i ran a more advanced test by using the speedofme website which basically tests your speed by downloading actual files from them and the highest i ever saw it download from there was 45mbps, on the bottom of the test it even shows the last people that ran a test and the funny thing about it was that there were two other verizon customers one was residential which clocked around the same speeds (40mbps down 10mbps up) while on the other hand the second verizon customer which was business class clocked in at 300mbps up and down.

so out of curiousity i tried running a vpn service called vypr once connected to this vpn everything started downloading and receiving the full speed i was paying for, my gaming started working and so did my livestreaming, i looked up the issue online only to find 1000's of complaints about this . ive called verizon and ive been calling them for the past 3 weeks ive had 3 appointments for my house which were supposed to check  the ont and the pole and the hub in my corner instead both techs showed up just to run a speed test on verizon.com and left within 2 minutes after telling me my service is fine, the 3rd swapped the router which didnt fix a thing, i decided to take matters into my own hands and run a traceroute through the network only to find hops 2, 4 and 5 spiking very heavily especially the second one which averages pretty well around 15ms but spikes occur around 300-800ms occasionally, regardless of if this the issue or not like i previously stated i used a vpn and everything worked great but im not going to be paying an extra 20$ per month just to have a vpn do the job verizon is supposed to.

in conclusion all in all it seems the verizon route takes you through a "throttling" or maybe with a benefit of the doubt "congested" route which ultimately diminishes the internet speed you're paying for. tier 3 says everything is fine and so do the verizon techs. im at a loss for words, i will be forwarding my proof and all my findings to the bbb and the fcc and also speaking to the attorney general of new york which happens to be close friends with my brother that works at a local firm, on behalf of everyone that has this service, people need to run more advanced tests to notice what you really are paying for.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: paying for 150/150, only receiving 1000kbps (wired), verizon throttling.
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Anonymous wrote:

so out of curiousity i tried running a vpn service called vypr once connected to this vpn everything started downloading and receiving the full speed i was paying for, my gaming started working and so did my livestreaming, 

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Looks to me like you answered your own question.

When you started running on the vpn you effectively changed your dns servers and being directed on different routes.

Forget the vpn and just change your local dns servers to something other than the Verizon dns servers whic have been having issues for months.  

Try open dns or google and see if your results improve.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

You need to look at your trace routes. Just because you subscribe to an internet provider that does mean they control the whole internet. Verizon can not control what happens once you leave their network. The traces routes will show where you are getting bottled up at.

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

While I agree with Telcoguru's comments, let me throw in a few additional thoughts.

First, it seems to me that SpeedOf.Me is doing a pretty good job of promoting itself as a "more advanced" speed test but I'm not impressed.

I get relatively low speeds from my 75/75 plan testing with SpeedOf.Me even though I consistently get better than the speeds I'm paying for, up and down, from various speedtest.net servers.  Here's the kicker though....I can always get advertised speeds or better in the real world, uploading and downloading real files from real servers, including my own website's server. 

So who's right?  Speedtest.net whcih agrees with the speeds I see in real world file transfers?  Or SpeedOf.Me which says my speeds are much slower than what I actually see in day-to-day use?

I'm not a gamer so I can't test this myself, but changing DNS servers from Verizon's to OpenDNS or Google may help with better routing to the gaming servers.  If not, and if no other solution comes along, that's the beauty of competition.  If TWC works better you can always go back to them. Smiley Wink

Not applicable

UPDATE: tracert is showing random spiking on hops 2, 4 and 5, they're averaging  1-15ms but spiking occurs every 10-20 pings that hit anywhere between 150ms-800ms, called verizon tech and says that's "normal" lol

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like dirty fiber or a bad PON if you ask me...

0 Likes
Not applicable

UPDATE #2, week 4. this is getting annoying verizon still insists there is no issue.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3681243905

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try a different server in NY.  I know there are a couple there that consistently show bad results with speedtest.net, and others that give good results.

When you get these bad results do you also get bad results to speedtest.verizon.com http://my.verizon.com/services/speedtest/ ?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@tns_2 wrote:

Try a different server in NY.  I know there are a couple there that consistently show bad results with speedtest.net, and others that give good results.

When you get these bad results do you also get bad results to speedtest.verizon.com http://my.verizon.com/services/speedtest/ ?

My recent experience with speedtest.net confirms your comment TNS_2.
I found that while I get consistent (as in always) results showing up and download speeds at or in excess of my 75/75 plan from many speedtest.net servers, there were 3 in the area that reported much slower results.
I reported those 3 servers to speedtest.net in 3 separate feedback submissions.  I got 3 replies.  In two out of the three speedtest thanked me for the report and told me they had removed those servers, which they indeed had done.
In the third case, they told me that most other users were getting accurate reports, including speeds of 100/100 mb/s, thus they considered my case a routing issue and were going to leave the server in place.
The moral of the story is, as you suggested TNS_2, try a few different servers.  Use the one that gives you the best results.  It's very unlikely that an speedtest.net server will falsely report your speeds as being higher than they actually are.
BTW, the server I've found most reliable in the NYC area is owned by Verizon's competitor, Optimum Online.

Not applicable
It does the same exact thing on the optimum online host, I've seen it countless times it doesn't matter what server I use because even my ps4 said I was getting 6-9mbps when it usually shows the full 150 and even up to 160! It just varies on the time of the day which it really shouldn't since "fiber" and verizon claiming there's no congestion on their network and blah blah, So sorry to say that is not the case.
0 Likes
Not applicable
What is with you people and the speed test websites obviously you say if I'm getting the speed everything is fine which is not the case with internet any decently trained tech knows that speed tests don't narrow down any ongoing issues, my streams lag my video games lag, youtube/Netflix/hulu buffers as if I'm on dial up, please it's 2014 I used to have a 5mbps plan with time warner that ran everything fine so please save your little "if the speed test shows the speed" (which it doesn't depending on the time) since fios is completely unreliable, at least at the moment.
0 Likes