pbs.org video slow on FIOS, fast on Tmobile LTE
eric2flat

Since I have FIOS watching videos on PBS site has been nightmare, different browsers and computers, always jitters. Same computer on Tmobile LTE modem it works well. is FIOS net neutral for pbs.org?

0 Likes
Re: pbs.org video slow on FIOS, fast on Tmobile LTE
VUser50
Contributor - Level 2

I've seen the same thing for PBS. Again the issues is probably with peering (where PBS and Verizon talk to each other and how much money is invested in the connection point) and not throttling but the effect for the end user is the same.

I don't think PBS and Verizon are having a big fight the same way Netflix and Verizon are so I'd imagine this won't last too long, it may just be that they didn't realize PBS would start attracting so much traffic.

It is possible a swift resolution may not happen though, since PBS doesn't have a ton of money to spend. While I don't think Verizon cares enough about PBS.com traffic, nor wants to get into a fight with them (slowing down PBS traffic just sounds evil), they may be afraid of setting a precedent of providing free or discounted upgrades of peering points (maybe they can claim public television is different).  

0 Likes