poor wi fi signal
oldwolf1

The  wi fi signal in my house is weak, with the routrer supplied by verizon.  Is there a piece of equipment that is compatible with the verizon router that will boot the signal on my existing wireless net work?

0 Likes
Re: poor wi fi signal
steven113
Contributor - Level 3

put it on a different channel you can be picking up other people on your network!!!

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

How do you have the router positioned relative to everything else in the house? Position matters, and as mentioned above, channel also matters if you have someone broadcasting louder than your router does nearby.

From my own experience, placing the router on a floor or near a location where most of your devices are used or are located is often a good idea. Also, basements and attics are the worst locations to put a router if you're looking for range and speed, especially with the stock antennas the routers come with. The signal with those antennas (and also from the devices, which also matters!) travels best across a single floor rather than up and down. It's just something to keep in mind.

If for some reason you need to add another AP, such as due to the fact that you have a larger home or perhaps the design of your home doesn't allow the signal to propagate nicely, even with an upgraded antenna for the FiOS router, that can be done. MoCa (basically, an Ethernet connection supplied via Coax) can help with this along with Powerline adapters if you do not prefer running a wired connection from the router to the access point. I would avoid repeaters. They often cut your speed in half and can be some trouble to set up.

DreadedCustomer
Contributor - Level 1
0 Likes