potentially switching to FiOS Internet/TV/Phone
StouMA781

All,

Our cul-de-sac finally is getting FiOS hooks up and we're already getting calls from Verizon to hookup.  

My main concern is "will 15/5 be enough for us?".

Currently, we have the following devices hooked up (or connected) to the router (currently on DSL)

1.  Two Droid phones that switch to WiFi in the house

2.  One Desktop connected via Cat5

3.  One Laptop connected via WiFi

4.  (Currently) 1 Whole House DVR via Direct-TV <will be switching over to FiOS's whole house DV-R>

5.  One Network Printer via Cat5

6.  One iPad (rarely used, on WiFi only)

*7.  Potentially two work laptops wi-fi connections

Currently, it's only me and my wife (no kids or rommates).  We don't really stream from Netflix, Blockbuster, PC library or XBox 360 (no Live account).  I currently am gaming on my desktop and in the middle of playing Star Trek Online/Lord of the Rings Online.  Both of us are using FIrefox/Chrome for browsing/emailing.  DSL is just bogging us down now especially when I work from home and need to do stuff via VPN. 

With all these devices, would one say it's "enough"?  I have a coworker that is on 35/35 and he thinks I should be on at least 25/25 but I have some hestiation.

0 Likes
Re: potentially switching to FiOS Internet/TV/Phone
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

DSL at what speed?

The DVR is not an issue since it is not part of the 15M you would be using.

I think what you will find is that there are things out there that you and the family will start using that will eat up that bandwidth fairly quickly.

In my world, there is no such thing as too much bandwidth.

YMMV.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

My advice would be to sign up for the 15 package and see how it goes. Verizon is much more likely to upgrade your account (if you find you need more) without a hassle than they are to downgrade it (if you don't end up needing a higher package).

StouMA781

Thanks for the insight guys.  In regards to the question about DSL and what speed.  I thought I was supposed to get 3MB, but i did a speed test and I'm barely pushing 1MB at the moment.  

I'm not really worried about upgrading to 25/25, it's just that it's $10 more and with taxes and fees it's more realistically $15 - $20 more.  

0 Likes