provisioned for 35 mb/sec getting 3 mb/sec
cefalany
Enthusiast - Level 2

Out FiOS Internet account calls for 35/35 ( 35 mb/sec from Verizon and 35 mb/sec toward Verizon.)  Depending on the time of day, our Internet speeds can drop to as little as 25/3 (25 mb/sec from Verizon and 3 mb/sec toward Verizon.  We would appreciate any information from persons who have experienced this is the past and any suggtestions as to how it was cured.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: provisioned for 35 mb/sec getting 3 mb/sec
prisaz
Legend

@cefalany wrote:

Out FiOS Internet account calls for 35/35 ( 35 mb/sec from Verizon and 35 mb/sec toward Verizon.)  Depending on the time of day, our Internet speeds can drop to as little as 25/3 (25 mb/sec from Verizon and 3 mb/sec toward Verizon.  We would appreciate any information from persons who have experienced this is the past and any suggtestions as to how it was cured.

Thanks

What time of day? Could be a hardware issue.

cefalany
Enthusiast - Level 2

Speeds start dropping around 0630 and bottom out around 1000 to 1400 on weekdays.  By 2100 or so, speeds are back up.  Weekends are not a problem.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@cefalany wrote:

Speeds start dropping around 0630 and bottom out around 1000 to 1400 on weekdays.  By 2100 or so, speeds are back up.  Weekends are not a problem.

That's a pretty bizarre situation.  It sounds typical for cable users but not common for FiOS.  Although even cable users that complain about speeds dropping typically experience the drop evenings and weekends when all their neighbors are home and saturating their node.  Middle of the day, like you're seeing...not so much. 

Any chance someone could be sucking up bandwidth on your LAN without your knowledge? 

When speeds are slow have you tried completely disabling wifi? 

Are you sharing your LAN with any other users, friends or family?

How sure are you that your own PC isn't infected with malware that's sucking up the bandwidth?

And how are you measuring those speeds?  Any chance it's just the speed test you're using that's saturated during those times of day?

Hubrisnxs
Legend

make sure you are on a hardwired connection when this happens, and make sure you're testing at http://speedtest.verizon.net

other speed test sites, are not hosted by tier I isp's and can experience the same congestion and utilization as anyone else.  

if it's hardwired, and giving that result at speedtest.verizon.net (not some other site) then run a traceroute to a website when it's not having a problem, and also when it is having a problem  (same website preferably)

DOS

start -> run/search -> cmd

hit enter

then do tracert www.yahoo.com  

post the results for both when it's fine and not having trouble and for when it is in fact having trouble.

IF it's wireless, then change the wireless signal.  you can do that in the router.   open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is "password1"  or just "password"  unless you changed it.

Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel

1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply.,

after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6,     test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

cefalany
Enthusiast - Level 2

After lots of testing and conversations with Verizon tech support, it comes down to this.

Verizon does not support congestion notification on their network, FiOS or otherwise.

If the Verizon network becomes congested and slows down, their equipment starts discarding our FiOS Internet packets.  The slowdown and discarding is done on an absolute basis and not relative to the bandwidth purchased.

We found that about 8 mbits/sec upload speed is all we can depend on from our local Verizon FiOS.  Anything more that that results in periods of lost data, lost emails, dropped VOIP calls, servers disappearing, etc...  anything you can imagine that would result from a lossy line.  At 8 mbits/sec the upstream data losses are about .01 %.

We are trying to get Verizon to fairly reprice their Internet speed offerings based on this information.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

It doesn't surprise me that Verizon isn't doing ECN across the public internet bandwidth.   I'd be interested in knowing if you are aware of other top tier ISP's that do implement it across the backbone.   I've seen it on some managed service offerings, and of course have seen it implemented in enterprise lease-line (non-MPLS) where the underlying layer 3 gear is being managed by customer.  

In your testing, are both your end points on the Verizon network?   

I've had good throughput on my 35/35 connection within the local network and even good results on downstream across end to end connections that transit intervening ISP's.   Upstream does get spotty at times however -- but not within the Verizon cloud -- which leads to me point at either the Verizon peering uplink or somewhere in the upstream cloud.  

Packet loss is a reality on the Internet, but it's impact is usually minimal particularly with SACK and window size negotiation in the picture.   Heavy loss however of course will have an adverse affect if so many packets get dropped or the loss rate is so inconsistent that the end points can't negotiate a window size  that works effectively.  

It would be interesting to hear exactly how your configuration is attempting to leverage this connectivity to the point where it needs ECN to function.

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

It sounds like FiOS performance may not be uniform around various parts of the country.  Here on Long Island my FiOS bandwidth up and down is so consistent around the clock that consistency alone amazes me.  This result is typical 24x7x365:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/917962401.png

In addition, while downloading I never exceed the speed shown in that test, uploading I often exceed the speedtest results.  If I'm uploading multiple files I typically see 40+ mb/s upstream, sometimes near 50 mb/s. 

A benefit of living in this area I guess.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I agree that certain areas seem to have more consistent performance than others ... mine is like yours and pretty rock solid.    That's why I asked about the end-points people are using for tests.   Some of this could certainly be Verizon congestion - which is a legitimate complaint to Verizon because it's within their ability to fix it.   Often times however, when you start troubleshooting these things you find that the latency or speed bottlenecks come further upstream -- after it leaves the Verizon network -- which of course is outside of Verizon's control -- the nature of the Internet. 

I want everyone to enjoy their service as much as I do ... but at the end of the day, I want them armed with the right information before they go off complaining about a performance issue that's a different ISP's issue to resolve.