Switch Account

ps3 lag

Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Message 1 of 18
(1,463 Views)

When I am playing ps3 I play mostly battlefield 3. Some people say I am lagging. I don't notice a lag other than some times my bullets won't hit people.

How can I test for lag?

I went on this website testmy.net/compID/6527804311826

and got 

Mon May 07 2012 @ 7:38:57 pmUS
arrow
1013 kB1.32 Mbps 169 kB/s Verizon Internet historyBzpEnm2share history 
Mon May 07 2012 @ 7:38:33 pmUS
arrow
9.9 MB2.42 Mbps 310 kB/s Verizon Internet historyqpxBbTLshare history 

Displaying Broadband Speed Test results for Connection ID 6527804311826

on speedtest.net I got a ping of 29ms, download of 11.15 mb and uplaod of 9.46

this is on a computer that is connected wirelessly not the computer with the router 

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 2 of 18
(1,450 Views)

What speed package are you supposed to be on? Need to know both the download and upload speed. You're pulling 10/10 which isn't a package. Are you on Wireless?

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Message 3 of 18
(1,440 Views)

Is your PS3 connected with a cable or wireless?  PS3's have a notoriously weak wireless adapter; what I did was buy a separate WIreless N Access Point, put it next to my PS3, and connect the PS3 to the adapter with a short CAT5 cable.  That helped my network speeds a lot.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Message 4 of 18
(1,429 Views)

im on the 50/20 plan  my ps3 used a 100 ft ethernet because the ps3 is on the 2nd floor and router is on the 1st

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 5 of 18
(1,418 Views)

make sure it's only your PS3 that is getting that kinda speed.

so try tomake sure you are hardwired to the router with a pc or laptop

test your speed at speedtest.verizon.net

if your speed isn't close to what you are supposed to get, hit the analysis link on the results page, and then cut and paste your results here. 

you should be close if not over your speed when hardwired

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III
Message 6 of 18
(1,417 Views)

Run a speed test for us on a wired PC so we can make sure you're getting the full 50Mbps/20Mbps. FiOS is supposed to deliver everything. If it does not, it may be the issue with the lag you're seeing. Also, visit pingtest.net to perform a basic ping test and supply the results to us.

Also if you have any other game consoles or games you can try to see if lag is only based on certain servers or with certain platforms, that would be great. If you have a capable PC with some games, that'd be the best way to check since PCs don't often rely on other players hosting the server; they have dedicated servers.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Message 7 of 18
(1,397 Views)
speed is

24.872 Mbps.
Your upload
speed is

7.969 Mbps.
this is from the verizon speed test on the computer with the router
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Message 8 of 18
(1,396 Views)

from pimgtest.net

ping 17ms

jitter 1ms

packet loss was unable to test 

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Message 9 of 18
(1,385 Views)

If you have a cable coax outlet near the PS3 then you can get a great wired connection using something called a MOCA LAN bridge -- converts ethernet over coax to ethernet over cat5. I use the Actiontec ECB2200 -- pricey but worth it to me not to have to use wireless or a long run of cat5 cable.

Lots of people using this with FIOS so info can be obtained via Google.

Good luck!

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III
Message 10 of 18
(1,383 Views)

Well, the speed test seems fine. Sometimes the Verizon test mis-reports some values and it seems this might be a case where the upload is being mis-reported. You can try gauging your results against other servers to see if that makes any difference. 25/25 should be what you get, probably more along the lines of 30/25 especially if you have TV.

But it seems like your connection is running smooth enough, despite being unable to check for packet loss. You wouldn't be pulling that kind of download if you had loss in your connection. So to me, it sounds like an issue with the PS3's connectivity and the host/route to the host of whatever game you're playing, not a Verizon issue. If you have any games that have Dedicated Server support, that's really your best check. Also, if you have NAT Type 1 and wind up hosting, if everyone is not lagging or complaining about lag you're fine.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.