Switch Account

ps3 lag

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Re: ps3 lag

Message 11 of 18
(716 Views)

Your bandwith is fine. The lag I think has more to do with your ping. 29ms isn't all that bad, but is enough to cause lag online. I have had the 15/5, 25/25, and 50/20 packages and it never helps my online gaming because my ping rates have been 30s-70s. When I go to a friend's house with Brighthouse 10/1 and ping of 5ms it runs better. Same on Comcast. Not sure why the ping rates on Verizon are so high. I'm also always hardwired. Furthermore, it's not even the actiontec because I've taken my ps3 to the clubhouse where I live and hooked it up there and get the same problem. The computers in the club house get 50/20 and I plug my ps3 directly into the ethernet wall outlet there but the ping rates on those computer via speedtest are also high. Low ping is ideal.

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 12 of 18
(710 Views)

It's best to check Traceroutes when comparing ISP latencies as they may clue into where the issue may be. 23ms is just fine for games with decent netcode. I can play on servers overseas with 130ms of latency without too much lag on my DSL line, and I still get a higher KD than 95% of the players on those servers. With poor netcode or server tuning the lag does take some time to react to, but I only play on PC so it's a bit easier with a keyboard and mouse to do that. Have no idea how the console world does things in that aspect. My best latency can only be 20ms, as there is a 10ms route between my area and Verizon's peering points in New York City. DSL + ATM Network + Routing adds 8ms to the loop, and 2ms for processing on the server and client end. Years ago I used to be able to score 8ms to local servers back when there were a few game servers hosted from the Verizon Central Office (A co-lo center which also serves FiOS out of it) I feed out of and local peering was more present. I miss those days.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 13 of 18
(706 Views)
I know a 100 ft Ethernet is really long but would a Actiontec ECB2200 make a big difference over the 100ft Ethernet?
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III

Message 14 of 18
(694 Views)

@jj71787 wrote:
I know a 100 ft Ethernet is really long but would a Actiontec ECB2200 make a big difference over the 100ft Ethernet?

Not really. If anything using the Actiontec ECB2200 for Moca to Ethernet is going to tack in a few milliseconds of latency over a direct Ethernet run to the router.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 15 of 18
(689 Views)
So I have to just deal with what I got?
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III

Message 16 of 18
(684 Views)

If you're already Ethernet then you're right where you want to be. You're not going to get better connectivity to the router than that. From the router to the ONT you're also better off with an Ethernet connection but MoCa does work fine and shows no difference in performance away from a 2-4ms drop which in reality, is nothing super concerning. From the ONT to Verizon is fine as you're not seeing issues with jitter or latency, and at that point you're at the mercy of the Internet itself.

As suggested, if you have another device that can play games in the house, try something away from the PS3. Try a PC as mentioned. You should notice a vast difference in lag on a fast system.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 17 of 18
(676 Views)
I'll try a PC game. Haven't tried it since I had time Warner. But my game is on the wifi PC. Thanks for the help though
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III

Message 18 of 18
(673 Views)

It's no problem. Let me know if there's anything noticable between the two platforms. If we find that out we'll go from there and see what we could do if anything.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.