purchased a ac3100 router
skippy111

I recently purchased a ac3100asus router. at the time of purchased I was assured that this router was 100% compatible to verizon. Now I am discovering that this unit don"t work. I really need some information on how I can amke this unit compatible so I can use it withe verizon internet services.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: purchased a ac3100 router
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Oh I see. You must have had FiOS installed a while back if you don't have an Ethernet cable run to your router (the new standard is Ethernet instead of coax).

This makes it a bit harder to use your own router in this case if you only have a Coax cable going ino your router. You will need to locate a device called an "ONT". These boxes are either inside or outside your house, and should have a large "Verizon" logo on them. 

If you can locate this box, you'll need to see how far away it is from where you want your new router. You will need to run an Ethernet cable from that Verizon box to your router. Verizon can also do this for you (for a charge) if you don't want to deal with running cables. 

Then, for the FiOS TV service to still work, you will need to get a MoCA bridge. You can purchase a plug-and-play one here: http://a.co/eOr2X6z, or if you want to re-use your existing router, you can follow these instructions to turn it into a MoCA bridge: https://www.justingoetz.net/docs/docs_actiontec/Actiontec_MoCA_Bridge.html

I'm sorry this process is so hard. Please do post back with any questions or concerns and I'll do everything I can to help you sort them out.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

The specs seem to show it can/should function.

here is the first thing to do with the Verizon router before you use the Asus.

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/15898

You might think about using the asus inAccess Point mode via hooking a ethernet cable from a lan port into the wan port on the Asus. Read your manual on how to do it.

Another link that may help.

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/14077

0 Likes
RMN3
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can guarantee you that your new router is compatible (and its a pretty good one).

Its only a matter of what you want to do with it. Do you want to replace your current verizon router, or just use it in addition to the verizon one? The latter is a pretty simple set-up. You just need to turn off DHCP in the new router so everything's on the same subbet. The former requires additional set up steps.

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello!

Do you only have Internet service with Verizon? If so, you can easily use this router. If you have TV service as well, it gets a little more complicated, but defintely possible.

There are two options here:

First, you can release your DHCP lease from the current Verizon router by following these instructions: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15898, and then unplug the Ethernet cable from the white port on the Verizon router, and plug it into your own router's WAN port (the blue port on the back), and your Asus router should have Internet access.

Alternatively if you don't feel like dealing with the settings, unplug power from the Verizon router for around 24 hours (do not plug the power back in). After the router has been off for some time, unplug the Ethernet cable from the white port on the Verizon router, and plug it into your own router's WAN port (the blue port on the back), and your Asus router should have Internet access.

Feel free to post back here if you run into any issues.

skippy111

I have fios tv and the routerI have from verizon has wi-fi also . I really want to replace that router if possible . with the router i have, the internet has a screw in coax in the wan or lan terminal  and there is nothing attached  in the white terminal. 

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Oh I see. You must have had FiOS installed a while back if you don't have an Ethernet cable run to your router (the new standard is Ethernet instead of coax).

This makes it a bit harder to use your own router in this case if you only have a Coax cable going ino your router. You will need to locate a device called an "ONT". These boxes are either inside or outside your house, and should have a large "Verizon" logo on them. 

If you can locate this box, you'll need to see how far away it is from where you want your new router. You will need to run an Ethernet cable from that Verizon box to your router. Verizon can also do this for you (for a charge) if you don't want to deal with running cables. 

Then, for the FiOS TV service to still work, you will need to get a MoCA bridge. You can purchase a plug-and-play one here: http://a.co/eOr2X6z, or if you want to re-use your existing router, you can follow these instructions to turn it into a MoCA bridge: https://www.justingoetz.net/docs/docs_actiontec/Actiontec_MoCA_Bridge.html

I'm sorry this process is so hard. Please do post back with any questions or concerns and I'll do everything I can to help you sort them out.

Stellarspace
Enthusiast - Level 2

I thought you couldn't use your own router with Verizon FiOS TV service. Do you have a Coax cable from the ONT box to the MoCA adapter and the Ethernet cable from the MoCA adapter to a non-Verizon router? Do you still have TV service? Do the on-demand services work? What about multi-room DVR service?

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello @Stellarspace!

You don't need to have the FiOS router in order to use FiOS TV. When setup properly with a MoCA bridge, all FiOS TV services still work behind your own router, except remote DVR.

However the TV service itself, guide, on demand, multi-room DVR, and most other services work fine. Smiley Happy

SpeedThree
Contributor - Level 1

I hope this thread isn't dead.  

I have FiOS, internet and phone only.  The 50/50 service.

I was considering replacing my Actiontec router with an Asus CM-32 AC2600.

I see that is has a coax port.

I wrote Asus pre-sales and asked if it work with Verizon FiOS.

Their reply was useless:  

"Thank you for contacting ASUS Product Support, my name is Matthew J. and I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues, but I will assist in the best way possible.

After reviewing your case in detail, the Asus CM-32 AC2600 supports both an Ethernet and DSL connection. Once installed, both will be compatible."

Does anyone reading this know if in fact this modem/router will work for me?

Many thanks.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@SpeedThreewrote:

I hope this thread isn't dead.  

I have FiOS, internet and phone only.  The 50/50 service.

I was considering replacing my Actiontec router with an Asus CM-32 AC2600.

I see that is has a coax port.

I wrote Asus pre-sales and asked if it work with Verizon FiOS.

Their reply was useless:  

"Thank you for contacting ASUS Product Support, my name is Matthew J. and I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues, but I will assist in the best way possible.

After reviewing your case in detail, the Asus CM-32 AC2600 supports both an Ethernet and DSL connection. Once installed, both will be compatible."

Does anyone reading this know if in fact this modem/router will work for me?

Many thanks.

It states online that it is for cable. (Listed as a cable modem) so I would say it does not support Verizon Fios which uses routers.