putting the STB's within the same DHCP as our devices
eiVaL
Enthusiast - Level 3

im trying to figure out how to put the COAX connected STB's within the same IP range as my connected devices, so i can set up a proper QoS, without them being locked at 5 within their "IP Address Distribution According to DHCP Option 60 (Vendor Class Identifier)" 

when running off a Ethernet conneciton rather than Coax, this works just fine via my 3rd party router, but since the Coax gives us 250+MB/s throuput vs the Ethernet of just 100 and i have the 75/75 tier, rather than possibly bottlenecking myself i like that additional resource, but if the Actiontec is going to be so non-userfriendly ill just go back onto the Ethernet setup where i can easily apply DHCP to the 2 STB's and my devices and have them all set up with a QoS and any other rules i want

the almost 200 page PDF for the MI424WR doesnt actually explain this.

can i just delete the Home/Network portion and allow the Ethernet/Coax to apply the DHCP? how do i disable the router from putting the STB's within its own vendor class?

0 Likes
Re: putting the STB's within the same DHCP as our devices
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@eiVaL wrote:

im trying to figure out how to put the COAX connected STB's within the same IP range as my connected devices, so i can set up a proper QoS, without them being locked at 5 within their "IP Address Distribution According to DHCP Option 60 (Vendor Class Identifier)" 

when running off a Ethernet conneciton rather than Coax, this works just fine via my 3rd party router, but since the Coax gives us 250+MB/s throuput vs the Ethernet of just 100 and i have the 75/75 tier, rather than possibly bottlenecking myself i like that additional resource, but if the Actiontec is going to be so non-userfriendly ill just go back onto the Ethernet setup where i can easily apply DHCP to the 2 STB's and my devices and have them all set up with a QoS and any other rules i want

the almost 200 page PDF for the MI424WR doesnt actually explain this.

can i just delete the Home/Network portion and allow the Ethernet/Coax to apply the DHCP? how do i disable the router from putting the STB's within its own vendor class?

Not sure I understand your question  especially the bit about coax giving you 250+MB/s seeing as your tier will restrict you to a max of 75 anyway.

Anyway, why don't you bridge the 2 routers together that will put them in the same IP range.  Still not sure why you want to do it as having it set up with your router as the gateway and then cascading the Verizon router off of your will effectively move the STB only traffic over to Verizon router only as there is minimal ethernet traffic to the STBs.

0 Likes