Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get gifts fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same-day delivery.

query on security after Google reported abnormal increased activity

SOLVED
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

query on security after Google reported abnormal increased activity

Message 1 of 5
(297 Views)

Hello, I have several Macs on my home network using a Verizon router and it's been working fine but have a query about security. Today, I did a search using google with my Safari browswer, and received a message about abnormal increased activity from my IP address, and then google had me select pictures to show I wasn't a bot. I checked and have typical security option on router and firewall is on for macs. So how can I tell if some unexpected malware is contacting google (unlikely on a mac) or if someone is spoofing my IP address?

As far as open ports on my router firewall, I have the following:

548 and 5900 for sharing and screen sharing on one mac

4567 by Fios router

tr69_000, tr69_003, and tr69_004 which I'm not sure where they came from (probably Fios?)

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Silver Contributor III
Silver Contributor III

Re: query on security after Google reported abnormal increased activity

Message 3 of 5
(238 Views)

TR-069 protocol is used by Verizon to transmit and receive information from the router. I believe this protocol makes possible that you can manage LAN devices from their website remotely.

Google probably detects queries based on IP addresses. Try Re-Lease a new IP address.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 2 of 5
(247 Views)

#1 port number 4567 and port numbers starting with tr69 = ISP's backdoor so that they can support you better. Ex They can reset the router remotely.

#2 if port numbers starting with tr69 is not what I say it is:

b) second possible guess: then that is for any FIOS TV Units (think DVR)?

c) third possible guess: UPnP in the router enabled?

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Highlighted
Silver Contributor III
Silver Contributor III

Message 3 of 5
(239 Views)

TR-069 protocol is used by Verizon to transmit and receive information from the router. I believe this protocol makes possible that you can manage LAN devices from their website remotely.

Google probably detects queries based on IP addresses. Try Re-Lease a new IP address.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 4 of 5
(140 Views)

Thanks - all of the info was helpful but two contributors suggested Re-Leasing the IP address of the router. On other routers, this is rather simple but I can't find this on my G1100 router.

thanks again

Highlighted
Silver Contributor III
Silver Contributor III

Message 5 of 5
(110 Views)

Go to My Network > Network Connections > Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax) > DHCP Lease > Release. Wait 60 seconds, the router should pull a different WAN IP.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.