Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same day delivery.

question about network

SOLVED
homebody1966
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

question about network

Message 1 of 3
(2,248 Views)

hello

am i able to connect devices like an external HD and printer to my network?

i want to be able to access files from my HD or print from the computers on my network

is this the same thing as a "homegroup?"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tns2
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: question about network

Message 2 of 3
(2,196 Views)

Many such devices work.  But not all.  My Canon printer for example is on my network.

The routers don't have any specific support for it so it depends on what the printer, hard drrive supports.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
tns2
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 2 of 3
(2,197 Views)

Many such devices work.  But not all.  My Canon printer for example is on my network.

The routers don't have any specific support for it so it depends on what the printer, hard drrive supports.

View solution in original post

JustinG
Silver Contributor V
Silver Contributor V

Message 3 of 3
(2,161 Views)

As TNS_2 has said, this all depends on the devices themselves and if they can be shared with the network or not. If your printer has "Network Printing" then it should work.

As for your external HDD, what kind of hard drive is it? Can you only access it over USB, or is it a NAS (Network Attached Storage) type of hard drives (such as the Western Digital "My Cloud")

If it is USB only, you could use a computer to share it to the network, however that computer would have to be turned on when you want to be accessing it over the network.

How-To Geek has a pretty good write-up on how to share hard drives (and more!) on windows: http://www.howtogeek.com/school/windows-network-sharing/lesson9/all/

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title