question about replacing quantum router
ramapochik1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have had the fios quantum router for about a year-year and a half and lately it seems to be dropping connections.  I was wondering if i could replace the router with another one (netgear, linksys...) by just unscrewing the cable going to the back of the router and hooking up another one and still be able to get on the internet?  We also have fios for our tv servce, we don't have quantum tv service just the regular fios tv service

Thanks for any help 😄

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: question about replacing quantum router
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Very few routers support moca internet.

That is different than a cable modem/router.

If you have FiOS stb, it can be difficult to get a different router to work properly.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Very few routers support moca internet.

That is different than a cable modem/router.

If you have FiOS stb, it can be difficult to get a different router to work properly.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

CRobGauth is correct.  Beware of "cable" routers as those are most likely not MoCA routers (I know of none other then the models which Verizon distributes such as the ActionTec --which can be obtained from eBay and such).   The other "routers" which have coax on them are most likely DocSIS cable modems which are not compatible with the FiOS system (think one speaks English and the other French).  

With FiOS TV, the router that Verizon supplies bridges the MoCA LAN, Wifi, and Ethernet onto a single local network, pushes it thru the router, and then back onto the Coas via a different frequency on MoCA WAN.    Verizon relies on the remote management capabilities to access the router and push firewall rules to allow their services to access  the STB's providing your TV service to be remotely programmed, etc.   So, putting your own router -- if you could even find a MoCA router -- in place, would disable those services unless you knew exactly which rules to put back into place.

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

As others have stated here, most routers would not work by replacing the coax.

However, there is a slightly more advanced option of replacing the Verizon router with your own, something I strongly reccomend. If you can find your ONT (The white box installed by Verizon, ususally in the basements of houses or ourside) and run an ethernet cable from that box direct, you can use any router you want.

DSL Reports gives a very good tutorial here, if you are interested: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15992