"Free FIOS Advanced Wi-Fi Router With Any Internet Upgrade of 50 Mbps or higher"
nooch11

I renewed my 2 year agreement in late July.  While checking my bundle, one of the messages said the following:

"Special Offer:  With any internet upgrade of 50 Mbps or higher, we'll provide you with a FIOS Advanced Wi-Fi router at no additional charge."

I thought "Cool!", so I upgraded my service from 50/50 to 75/75 for the sole reason that I thought I was getting a free router upgrade.  I've been waiting almost 1.5 months and have yet to receive the promised router upgrade.  What gives?  If I knew this was going to happen, I never would've upgraded in the first place.  My questions:

1) Will I receive the router upgrade or not?

2) If I won't be receiving the router upgrade, can I go downgrade my service back to my 50/50 service without penalty?

Would appreciate a response...thanks!

0 Likes
Re: "Free FIOS Advanced Wi-Fi Router With Any Internet Upgrade of 50 Mbps or higher"
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

This is a peer to peer support forum. For that answer you need to contact Verizon directly.

Please visit our Support page for a variety of ways to contact Verizon, including “Ask Verizon,” our virtual chat agent, and customer support phone numbers.

0 Likes
Re: "Free FIOS Advanced Wi-Fi Router With Any Internet Upgrade of 50 Mbps or higher"
avemaria92
Contributor - Level 1

i've been going back and forth with them over this.. I just upgraded my service before the promotion to 50mbps.. they won't give me a router unless I upgrade further.. it's ridiculous to me as I JUST UPGRADED..  they're basically telling me they no longer want my business.. they say they can't put an order in for a free router for me.. yet they say i can have a free router if i upgrade to 75 from 50.  So if I had renewed at my then current speed of 25 and waited a few weeks to upgrade to 50mbps I could have gotten a free router.. this is insane to me.. i ugraded anyway!  but now they want the money to give me one even though they're giving them away for free to those who upgrade JUST LIKE I DID now instead of earlier..  If I can't get a router I won't be renewing anymore from Verizon and everything in our home is Verizon so it will be a bigger loss for them than if they had given the router!.. I get offers all the time to switch to companies willing to give me more as a customer..  I could just as easily have clicked today to upgrade my speed and it wouldn't cost them anything different.. but because i've been paying more the past few weeks they don't recognize it...  this isn't how you treat a customer of 15 years..

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@avemaria92 wrote:

If I can't get a router I won't be renewing anymore from Verizon and everything in our home is Verizon so it will be a bigger loss for them than if they had given the router!.. I get offers all the time to switch to companies willing to give me more as a customer..  I could just as easily have clicked today to upgrade my speed and it wouldn't cost them anything different.. but because i've been paying more the past few weeks they don't recognize it...  this isn't how you treat a customer of 15 years..

The newer router won't make any difference to your speeds - wired.  It possibly might make a difference to your wireless speeds butVerizon doesn't really care about that as they don't really support wireless access.

0 Likes
avemaria92
Contributor - Level 1

i have the old router from 8 years ago that only supports up to 25mbps wireless.. 

0 Likes
click4dylan
Contributor - Level 1

The new router isn't going to do anything for your wireless speeds. I have the MI424WR Revision I and both on my ipad mini and my laptop over wireless n, neither go above ~25mbps, even if they are sitting right next to the router.

I have an old westell 9100EM wireless G router from verizon that gets better wireless speeds than this actiontec.

the main thing you'll get is a bigger nat table and that's it.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have a Dell laptop and it has no trouble reaching 150+ download speeds with my Actionetec version I at least when close to the router.

So it clearly depends on your equipment and to some degree what settings you set in the Actiontec.  Some other equipment I have peak at much lower speeds and upload speeds are much harder.  One setting to consider is Performance mode (in advanced security settings for some reason, 802.11n mode).  Will not help if you need a wireless g or, shutter, b device to connect.

0 Likes
avemaria92
Contributor - Level 1

25mbps sounds a little odd if you have equipment anywhere remotely current.. i'd contact tech support about that and see what they recommend because the router claims 130mbps wireless and 1gbps wired..

concerns me though as i was considering further upgrading from 50 to 75 just to get the free router.. ticks me off as i just upgraded to 50 though right before the promotion...  they won't give it unless i further pay more to upgrade even more...  so it's either pay for it and keep 50 or upgrade for now, get free router and get 75 for $10 more per month...  either way i'm paying..  I need a new router that does more than 25mbps wireless as i pay for 50 and with the devices i have we're not going to huddle around a wire to get the speeds... right now i'm stuck at 25 wireless with this old router..  though i checked and wired it does a lot more..

0 Likes
optivity
Contributor - Level 3

Unless your clients (e.g. TiVo, Xbox, etc) support the wireless "N" routing protocol there isn't much (other than perhaps a stronger signal) advantage to upgrading from a wireless b/g router.

Wireless b/g supports network bandwidth up to 54 Mbps and Netflix (e.g. SuperHD) video streams requires:

"Netflix subscribers need a minimum of 5Mb/s to stream high definition content smoothly, Netflix recommends 7Mb/s for the Super HD content. Recently, Netflix representatives also mentioned that streaming 4K content will require a minimum of 15 Mbps."

In terms of "wired" speed, unless all the PC's, laptops, tablets, etc., in your household have a physical Ethernet connection to the router's switch port (only 4 ports) and you're doing things like streaming YouTube videos all around paying for a "50Mbps or higher" subscription is overkill and a waste of your hard earned $.

Verizon is happy to sell you more network bandwidth than you can use.

0 Likes
rburton12
Enthusiast - Level 2

I fell for the same ad, actually received an email offering the increase in speed and "new advanced router".  Ordered yesterday, received confirmation with no mention of router.  Online chat agent tells me no router would be sent, ask to cancel and agent refuses.  Not good.

0 Likes