"Verizon managed" devices / IP address range
Observer1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had intended to use 100-199 for my static addresses, and <100 for dynamic, but am unable to assign static addresses in the block 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.150.  The error message is "IP Address is reserved for Verizon Managed Device."  

I assumed it was because I had configured my DHCP IPv4 address distribution range as 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.99, but when I changed the distribution range to 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.109 (even rebooting the G3100), the reserved block appears to remain 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.150.

Did I miss the documentation that this block is special?  At first I thought it might be related to Guest or IoT devices, but the former are assigned in 192.168.200.x, and the latter are assigned from the Primary "network" pool.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: "Verizon managed" devices / IP address range
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Observer wrote:

I had intended to use 100-199 for my static addresses, and <100 for dynamic, but am unable to assign static addresses in the block 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.150.  The error message is "IP Address is reserved for Verizon Managed Device."  

That block is reserved for set-top boxes if you have tv service. 

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should configure static IP addresses on the devices themselves. You cannot config static IP addresses for devices on the G3100.

Or, do you mean Static DHCP reservation? You cannot config a static DHCP lease on the G3100 if that address is not managed by G3100's DHCP server.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Observer wrote:

That block is reserved for set-top boxes if you have tv service. 

Observer1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I meant static DHCP reservation.

And you can give devices static reservations outside the dynamic range defined for DHCP dynamic assignment.  As I noted in my original post, I was able to assign static addresses outside of the dynamic range 2-99, but only above .150.

I should also have been clearer that when I defined the dynamic range to be 2-109, I still could not statically assign 100-109 (because 100-150 are apparently reserved for "Verizon managed devices").

0 Likes
Observer1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ah, that makes sense.  

I don't have FIOS TV service (just 3 digital phone lines), so perhaps that block is unconditionally reserved.  

Interesting that Verizon reserves ~20% of the primary subnet address space for set-top boxes, and doesn't warn that a dynamic DHCP block of ~150 addresses (2-150) only contains room for ~100 of your devices.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Observer wrote:

And you can give devices static reservations outside the dynamic range defined for DHCP dynamic assignment.  As I noted in my original post, I was able to assign static addresses outside of the dynamic range 2-99, but only above .150.

Even if you can, that would not make any sense. Reserving a static DHCP address outside the DHCP address pool would be analogous to walk up to a hotel front desk and asks to reserve a room not owned by the hotel.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Observer wrote:

...so perhaps that block is unconditionally reserved.  

I think you are still confusing Static DHCP reservation with Static IP assignment.

Normally, if you would like to assign a static IP to the device, you would configure it directly on the device. You don't need a DHCP server for your network to work. A router does not need to assign IP addresses in order to be called a router.

The device won't disallow the assignment of 192.168.1.100-150, and the G3100 will realize those addresses are occupied and won't assign STBs these addresses if you happen to have STBs. Static DHCP reservation should only be used when the device can only be configured with DHCP.

Observer1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I understand your hotel room analogy, but didn't realize there was such a constraint in the DHCP specification (RFC 2131?).  

Surely it is the admin's prerogative to configure one or more DHCP servers to reliably and conveniently serve her address allocation needs?  If her address space plan includes blocks in which she does not want any dynamically-assigned devices, but would still like DHCP to automate device configuration (rather than manually configure the static address in each of those "static" devices), shouldn't she have the option to do so with a single DHCP server?

You are implying that such a configuration is impermissible, and that she should instead employ at least two DHCP servers, one to handle the dynamic assignments, and another to handle the static assignments.

0 Likes
Observer1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't think I have been or am still confused about the two addressing concepts.  While one can certainly configure addresses manually in devices, DHCP can also be used to assign specific addresses to devices via the DHCP protocol.  Whether simply applying a preference to re-assign an address previously used by a device, or by handing out a static address the admin explicitly wishes to have DHCP hand out for the device.

Could you provide an authoritative source for your assertion:  "Static DHCP reservation should only be used when the device can only be configured with DHCP."

FYI, my G3100 DHCP refuses to allow the addresses 100-150 to be defined as static, even though I have no STBs in my system and never have since installing the G3100 (FIOS/phone-only installation).  This leads me to conclude that the block is unconditionally reserved.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Nothing in the RFC you cited prohibits the presence of two or more DHCP servers on the link; however, I doubt SOHO devices are smart enough to deal with multiple DHCP responses, though required by the RFC.

The RFC you cited also demand DHCP  mechanism should coexist with static addresses and DHCP servers should not assign an already allocated address, whether by the admin statically or by previous DHCP transactions. The above amounts to DHCP server should be aware of all static addresses in use, even if the addresses are not assigned through the DHCP server.

Then you only need to leave your DHCP pool as 192.168.1.1-254, since the DHCP server is aware of all current addresses in use and whether they are static or dynamic. I can at least confirm G1100 and G3100’s DHCP server operates in this way.