"website may be impersonating..."
RLRH

As of late, I've been unable to access www.weather.com.  I tried again today, unsuccessfully.  Thinking that perhaps the site has been blocked for some reason, I attempted to access my Verizon router--to check the list of sites that are blocked.  I received these two concerning error messages:

1) This website may be impersonating "192.168.1.1" to steal your personal or financial information.  You should og back to the previous page" and

2) This website may be impersonating "myfiosgateway.com" to steal your personal or financial information.  You should og back to the previous page" 

Well. This. Stinks.

Ideas, Verizon hivemind?

TIA for your help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: "website may be impersonating..."
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is nothing to be resolved. The Verizon router login page is now HTTPS and Verizon uses a self-signed certificate. The self-signed certificate is not registered with the Certificate Authority (CA) so you browser is telling you the site is unsafe. Many devices like routers, access points, and NAS hard drives have self-signed certificates and will give you this error. It is safe however to proceed as they are devices on your local network. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@RLRH wrote:

As of late, I've been unable to access www.weather.com.  I tried again today, unsuccessfully.  Thinking that perhaps the site has been blocked for some reason, I attempted to access my Verizon router--to check the list of sites that are blocked.  I received these two concerning error messages:

1) This website may be impersonating "192.168.1.1" to steal your personal or financial information.  You should og back to the previous page" and

2) This website may be impersonating "myfiosgateway.com" to steal your personal or financial information.  You should og back to the previous page" 

Well. This. Stinks.

Ideas, Verizon hivemind?

TIA for your help.

It is safe to log in to the router. Verizon recently did an upgrade and now there is a internet certificate error. 

Not sure what browser you are using but there is usually an “Advanced” link you can click to proceed to 192.168.1.1 or myfiosgateway.com which is the same thing. 

hughinkop
Enthusiast - Level 1

Has this been resolved?  I am getting the same message today...

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is nothing to be resolved. The Verizon router login page is now HTTPS and Verizon uses a self-signed certificate. The self-signed certificate is not registered with the Certificate Authority (CA) so you browser is telling you the site is unsafe. Many devices like routers, access points, and NAS hard drives have self-signed certificates and will give you this error. It is safe however to proceed as they are devices on your local network.