Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.

remote port forwarding to a local port

Reply
andrewjs18
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Posts: 30
Registered: ‎11-08-2012

remote port forwarding to a local port

Message 1 of 7
(2,938 Views)

I'm not sure if this is possible with verizon routers, but I know some routers will allow you to forward a remote port to a local port.

 

can this be done with the verizon MI424WR-GEN3I router?

6 REPLIES 6
viafax999
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 2,161
Registered: ‎11-10-2009

Re: remote port forwarding to a local port

Message 2 of 7
(2,928 Views)

yes

You'll find port forwarding under firewall settings in router admin

andrewjs18
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Posts: 30
Registered: ‎11-08-2012

Re: remote port forwarding to a local port

Message 3 of 7
(2,923 Views)

@viafax999 wrote:

yes

You'll find port forwarding under firewall settings in router admin


let me clarify:

 

does the router allow for an external port of 1 to be forwarded to a local port of 2, as an example?

viafax999
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 2,161
Registered: ‎11-10-2009

Re: remote port forwarding to a local port

Message 4 of 7
(2,916 Views)

@andrewjs18 wrote:

let me clarify:

 

does the router allow for an external port of 1 to be forwarded to a local port of 2, as an example?


yes you can forward to a different port to that of the incoming port

Port forwarding change dest port

andrewjs18
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Posts: 30
Registered: ‎11-08-2012

Re: remote port forwarding to a local port

Message 5 of 7
(2,911 Views)

@viafax999 wrote:

@andrewjs18 wrote:

let me clarify:

 

does the router allow for an external port of 1 to be forwarded to a local port of 2, as an example?


yes you can forward to a different port to that of the incoming port

Port forwarding change dest port


odd, I do not have that option in mine, it appears.  I'm unable to edit port forwarding rules - only delete them or add new ones.

 

anyhow, I'm trying to get port 1194 to work without redoing a bunch of configs because it appears that verizon is blocking port 1194 (openvpn), so what I was trying to accomplish was using 1195 as an external port which would then get forwarded to port 1194 internally.

 

174 Feb. 11.jpg

 

when I port scan the IP, I get this: Port 1195 is closed on 173.62.X.X.

viafax999
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 2,161
Registered: ‎11-10-2009

Re: remote port forwarding to a local port

Message 6 of 7
(2,900 Views)

@andrewjs18 wrote:

anyhow, I'm trying to get port 1194 to work without redoing a bunch of configs because it appears that verizon is blocking port 1194 (openvpn), so what I was trying to accomplish was using 1195 as an external port which would then get forwarded to port 1194 internally.

 

174 Feb. 11.jpg

 

when I port scan the IP, I get this: Port 1195 is closed on 173.62.X.X.


Verizon blocks NO ports

Do you have a listern on port 1194 at 192.168.1.31  ?

Source port should be Any

You need TCP for 1194 also TcpAny -> 1194

Edit is only an option once you've created a rule

You are trying to create a VPN tunnel to one of your internal devices?

 

Edit

I see you don't need TCP, it's eithe UDP or TCP

andrewjs18
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Posts: 30
Registered: ‎11-08-2012

Re: remote port forwarding to a local port

Message 7 of 7
(2,888 Views)

@viafax999 wrote:

@andrewjs18 wrote:

anyhow, I'm trying to get port 1194 to work without redoing a bunch of configs because it appears that verizon is blocking port 1194 (openvpn), so what I was trying to accomplish was using 1195 as an external port which would then get forwarded to port 1194 internally.

 

174 Feb. 11.jpg

 

when I port scan the IP, I get this: Port 1195 is closed on 173.62.X.X.


Verizon blocks NO ports

Do you have a listern on port 1194 at 192.168.1.31  ?

Source port should be Any

You need TCP for 1194 also TcpAny -> 1194

Edit is only an option once you've created a rule

You are trying to create a VPN tunnel to one of your internal devices?

 

Edit

I see you don't need TCP, it's eithe UDP or TCP


I got it working.

 

I think I was forwarding tcp by mistake rather than udp for openvpn.

 

thanks

How-To Videos
 
The following videos were produced by users like you!
   
Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started


Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Posts

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title