remove backup batter unit
raphster
Enthusiast - Level 2

can I bypass (remove my backup battery unit (BBU)) and plug the ONT power wire directly into an outlet?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: remove backup batter unit
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're not going to get Verizon to remove it anytime soon unless you have an unrelated urgent issue that requires them to work on the ONT.

You should be able to press the "silence" button to stop the beeping.  You can also try unplugging one of the battery leads and plugging it back in.  Sometimes that resets the battery beep for a while.  Depending on the BBU model, unplugging the battery leads may also result in silence.

If you know your way around a screw driver, volt-meter, soldering iron, wire cutters and crimp tool; you may be able to remove the BBU and use only the existing power supply.  If you post pictures of your equipment you might get some advice, but I don't recommend this if you're not an electrical hacker / engineering type.  You could damage the ONT and then be left waiting days or weeks for Verizon to show up and could be subject to a big charge if they determine you damaged the ONT.

You may be able to log a request now to get the BBU removed and have an appointment scheduled weeks or months away.  Or you can wait for things to calm down and schedule the work then.  I really don't know which approach will get them out to you faster.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, the ONT runs on DC and requires a power supply, has some signals in addition to power, and uses custom connectors.  If you don't know what you're doing it's best to leave power system work to Verizon.

They had been removing BBUs when ever they worked on an ONT and may have been doing it on request, but these days they won't come out unless it's an urgent issue.  Removing a BBU is not urgent.

raphster
Enthusiast - Level 2

can I run a DC transformer to power the ONT? I have only internet service running through the ONT.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@raphster wrote:

can I run a DC transformer to power the ONT? I have only internet service running through the ONT.

No, as said before there is also signal wiring in the ONTs power cable. You will have to schedule a tech visit with Verizon to remove the BBU and install a power adapter. You may have to wait because I believe Verizon isn't dispatching on unnecessary calls due to the pandemic.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why do you want to remove the BBU?

0 Likes
raphster
Enthusiast - Level 2

The battery has been dead for years and the BBU has been beeping for all those years. Also, it's taking up space on the basement wall and an eyesore. 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're not going to get Verizon to remove it anytime soon unless you have an unrelated urgent issue that requires them to work on the ONT.

You should be able to press the "silence" button to stop the beeping.  You can also try unplugging one of the battery leads and plugging it back in.  Sometimes that resets the battery beep for a while.  Depending on the BBU model, unplugging the battery leads may also result in silence.

If you know your way around a screw driver, volt-meter, soldering iron, wire cutters and crimp tool; you may be able to remove the BBU and use only the existing power supply.  If you post pictures of your equipment you might get some advice, but I don't recommend this if you're not an electrical hacker / engineering type.  You could damage the ONT and then be left waiting days or weeks for Verizon to show up and could be subject to a big charge if they determine you damaged the ONT.

You may be able to log a request now to get the BBU removed and have an appointment scheduled weeks or months away.  Or you can wait for things to calm down and schedule the work then.  I really don't know which approach will get them out to you faster.

Good Luck.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Definitely don’t switch to the power supply. The BBU is 12 VDC to the ONT. The power supply is 48 VDC. If you connect that directly to the ONT you might fry the ONT. You also need the signal wiring which the power supply does not provide.