reset new westell 9100 daily?
plarkinjr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had FiOS now for 5 days, and at least once per day I have to power cycle the router.   Is that normal?

I have 4 ethernet connected, and a WiFI connected devices.

What happens is this:  I'll be browsing the web and suddenly it stops working.  My ping testers indicate loss of connectivity to everything they test.  All of the LEDs are normal except that the is SOLID green (and the LAN Ethernet lights are flashing indicating traffic).  When this happens I try to login to the router, and it won't work.  I power cycle it, and everything is normal after a couple minutes.  When I log into the router and look at the System Logs, I scroll down and find the oldest entry listed below, followed by a bunch of similar date boot messages and then finally my current session logs.  There seems to be no log of what was there BEFORE I cycled power.

Dec 31 18:00:01 2002 System Log Message

daemon.info klogd: Task started

Re: reset new westell 9100 daily?
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

It's definately not normal to have to reboot the Westell on a daily basis.

Your best bet is to call VZ and request a replacement.

As you discovered, the log is reset by a reboot.

If you're curious as to what might be logged before a reboot, you can run a syslog daemon as described in the following FAQ:

Why is my router crashing?

plarkinjr
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, well, I called and got a replacement router.  Installed it Sunday.  It too has frozen twice today and once yesterday.  I entered Chat Support and the following fragment of that chat is very interesting:

Abigail(15:07:23): i do apologize for this inconvenience, but as i explained before i´m checking on the service, have done many test and none is showing any error
LARKIN, PATRICK(15:07:55): it works fine right this moment
Abigail(15:08:00): you can try to upgrade the firmware, but as i said before if you have many devices running at same time, the speed you have is not enough
Abigail(15:08:25): what you would need to do is to upgrade the speed
LARKIN, PATRICK(15:08:36): too many devices and only 15mbps should not "lock up" my router.
LARKIN, PATRICK(15:08:52): I had ELNK DSL at one tenth the speed, and it worked fine
LARKIN, PATRICK(15:09:34): are U willing to upgrade my speed for free for a month, to see if that fixes it?
Abigail(15:09:55): if as you said all connected at same time, and besides you have many wireless devices, the signal gets lost in the air when you have many devices and many traffic too
LARKIN, PATRICK(15:10:18): my earthlink DSL was at 1.5 Mbps, with the same home network activity, and it worked great (but was slow)
Abigail(15:10:29): you would need to make the upgrade with the billing department, sorry, i can transfer you if you wanty
LARKIN, PATRICK(15:10:48): I do not agree with you
LARKIN, PATRICK(15:10:57): the wireless stuff is a red herring
LARKIN, PATRICK(15:11:07): my primary devices are hard wired ethernet
LARKIN, PATRICK(15:11:20): they also experience this lock up with the router
LARKIN, PATRICK(15:11:26): please escalate this.
LARKIN, PATRICK(15:11:38): to higher level technical support
LARKIN, PATRICK(15:11:50): do not tell me I need to pay for even more speed to fix your router problems
Abigail(15:12:40): what i can do is to send you a technician to check on that
LARKIN, PATRICK(15:12:54): sure, I guess.
LARKIN, PATRICK(15:13:03): do that

So, I guess someone will come out and look at it tomorrow.   I hope that fixes it.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

is that the 9100 EM or VM 

0 Likes
plarkinjr
Enthusiast - Level 2

9100em

And the tech came out, replaced the ONT since he could not think of anything more to do.... and within an hour, it froze.  I was on a conference call for work, so I couldnt stop what I was doing and call VZ Support, so I just reset the router again.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
Are you wireless? I know this problem can happen wirelessly, but should never happen when hardwired, or at least very infrequently.

Try cross posting this at the vs direct forum.

https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect~also=ilec,vz+vzfiber+vzfiostv

Those guys are pretty good.
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Well, an electronic device that constantly freezes. That could be caused by.

1. Faulty device. Since you have already replaced the router its not likely a router issue.

2. Signal causing it to freeze. Replacing the ONT should eliminate any signals from the Verizon side causing issues. It could have been the traffic coming in and causing the router issues. But there also could be a problem with one of the devices connected to the router in the LAN side causing issues. Have you tried disconnecting everything from the router and using one computer at a time to see if the problem returns?

3. Could be an electrical issue. I've seen routers with the same issue that were caused because there were too many electrical devices connected to one electrical circuit. Not enough to trip the breaker, but enough to cause power fluctuations that can lock up the router.

4. Could also be a heat issue. Is it possible that the router is getting hot? Its it on or near another heat source? I had one that was behind my computer and without thinking I placed it near the exhaust of my computer and it kept getting too hot. Do you maybe have something similar happening?

5. Cabling. It may be that you have a bad cable connecting to the router. Either on the WAN or LAN side. The only way to check this is to start swapping out cables.

badgebot

Did you ever find a solution to this?  It has been happening to me for months now...very frustrating.

0 Likes