router admin password
pigdog1
Enthusiast - Level 1
I no longer have admin access to my router. Neither the password that I had set (months ago), nor the default admin password, works. For security reasons, does Verizon remotely change the devices admin password? I heard that some ISPs do this to protect their customers from easily accessed default passwords. I don't want to access my router remotely for this. I'm looking to make administrative changes from the LAN side. If I use the big hammer and reset the router to factory settings, will the default be the lame password that is documented in the MI424WR user manual? ISTR reading about Verizon setting the default password to the serial number. BTW, this is my first posting on this forum. The first thing that I looked for was a way to search these forums, as I suspect my questions has been asked many times. Is there a search function with these forums?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: router admin password
pigdog1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you, tns2 and CRobGauth.  I reset the router to factory settings and was pleased to see that when I opened it in a browser, it did not default to "password" or "password1", but forced me to set a password.  It accepted the same password I thought I had set earlier.

Now I'm having trouble configuring port forwarding so that I can specify a non-standard ssh port on inbound, and send that to port 22 on a specific host.  I'll try to gather my thoughts and put that in another post.

Thank you both again for the assistance!

Dan

P.S.  I tried to give  "kudos," but that button doesn't work for me.  😞

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have never heard of Verizon changing router password.

Is there a sticker on router with password?

If  not, try serial number

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

NOte that Verizon did change your password if was still one of the REALLY old ones ("password" and "password1").  They haven't done so since then.

I no they show the current passphrase and maybe the show the current password if you go to the website for your account (I am no frontier and can't check).

If you can't get any of your passwords to work, PUSH THE RESET BUTTON (on most models its on the back recessed behind a hole in the back).  This will reset the password and other settings to the default.  IN somd models it resets the password to the printed value on the sticker.  If no password is on the sticker it may set to "password" or to the serial number of the router.  On others it completely wipes the password and asks you to create a new admin id and password.

pigdog1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you, tns2 and CRobGauth.  I reset the router to factory settings and was pleased to see that when I opened it in a browser, it did not default to "password" or "password1", but forced me to set a password.  It accepted the same password I thought I had set earlier.

Now I'm having trouble configuring port forwarding so that I can specify a non-standard ssh port on inbound, and send that to port 22 on a specific host.  I'll try to gather my thoughts and put that in another post.

Thank you both again for the assistance!

Dan

P.S.  I tried to give  "kudos," but that button doesn't work for me.  😞

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

IN ANSWER TO THIS       Is there a search function with these forums?

FROM YOU

Type in your keywords in the box....."I am looking for"

(top right of any Forum page)