router lights flicker when computer is not on
mike19691
Contributor - Level 1

Hello everyone. I live in a Multi-Dwelling Unit and have VDSL FiOS Internet. I have my computer hooked up to the router with an ethernet cord. I do not use the router's wireless function and have the router's wireless radio turned off. Lately I have noticed at times when I am not using the computer and have it completely shut down, both the internet and the wan ethernet lights are flickering. At the same time the light on the modem which shows the LAN connection also flickers. I have checked  the router's logs and as far as I can tell they do not show anything abnormal. I don't know if the router is just doing routine things or if someone is trying to hack into the router via the internet. I don't think anyone could be using my connection. It sometimes continues for a few minutes at a time.  What I usually do when I see this is turn off the modem to prevent access. Any ideas or information would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: router lights flicker when computer is not on
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Its very normal for the lights especially the WAN lights to constantly flicker.  There are things called Broadcast packets which are going out which the router will see and either discard or respond to.  Broadcast packets could be something as simple as a Verizon router looking for a device on the network yet it doesnt know where it is.  This is basic networking 101.    What you are seeing is normal.

On the LAN side if your light is still on even though the PC is off it could be the wake on lan feature is enabled on your PC.  What this does is, it looks for certain information to come from the network to tell it to wake up.  You can turn this feature off if enabled.  When my PC is off, the link light is off.

View solution in original post

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Its very normal for the lights especially the WAN lights to constantly flicker.  There are things called Broadcast packets which are going out which the router will see and either discard or respond to.  Broadcast packets could be something as simple as a Verizon router looking for a device on the network yet it doesnt know where it is.  This is basic networking 101.    What you are seeing is normal.

On the LAN side if your light is still on even though the PC is off it could be the wake on lan feature is enabled on your PC.  What this does is, it looks for certain information to come from the network to tell it to wake up.  You can turn this feature off if enabled.  When my PC is off, the link light is off.

mike19691
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for the info. It is reassuring to know it's not anything to worry about.