router/modem changed SSID
crittermom
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been spending days trying to figure this out. For some reason my Router/Modem & Password have been changed. I can get internet on desktop only, for some reason.

But, forget Wi-Fi . I've tried several times with the two different log ins. The old and the new SSID & Password.

I'm pretty sure I didn't do it. So now I need help trying to fix this.  Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: router/modem changed SSID
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most likely reset to its defaul userid and password.  You do need to try and logon to the router from your desktop.  If it will not let you you will probably have to try a reset of the router (on most a reset button on the back).

After a reset and depending on router model the userid will be "admin" and

the password may not be set and the router asks you to set it

the password may match a password that is printed on the sticker on the router

the password may be "password"

the password may be the same as the serial number.

Hopfully your route is not failing and all you have to do is make sure the routers wireless is on and that the SSID and its passkey or passphrase matches what you want.  For some routers you may want to chage to WPA2 at the same time, the latter router default to WPA2.

View solution in original post

eljefe2
Master - Level 1
Let me start by pointing out that FiOS does not use a modem. Have that out of the way, what is the make and model number of your router? You can find them on the router's label.
0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most likely reset to its defaul userid and password.  You do need to try and logon to the router from your desktop.  If it will not let you you will probably have to try a reset of the router (on most a reset button on the back).

After a reset and depending on router model the userid will be "admin" and

the password may not be set and the router asks you to set it

the password may match a password that is printed on the sticker on the router

the password may be "password"

the password may be the same as the serial number.

Hopfully your route is not failing and all you have to do is make sure the routers wireless is on and that the SSID and its passkey or passphrase matches what you want.  For some routers you may want to chage to WPA2 at the same time, the latter router default to WPA2.

crittermom
Enthusiast - Level 3

sorry I didn't come back sooner but I did finally figure it out. When I reset the router I didn't realize that it went back to the original SSID and passkey. Once I figured that out. All was good.

The only reason I even recent the router was the slooooowwww speed and constant wi-fi hang ups, which is new. That seems to still be an issue.

Thanks for the kind responses.

0 Likes