router upgrade available?
Snapper3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've heard that the new FIOS wireless routers are 802.11N instead of the old B that I currently have.  How do current users get the new routers?

0 Likes
Re: router upgrade available?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

The current actiontec's and westell's support B/G modes.   they don't have the N router yet.     Buy.com has the TRENDnet TEW-637AP 300Mbps Wireless Easy-N-Upgrader on sale for $27.99 with free budget shipping *edit   Youch,  looked like we missed the sale.   its at 47 bux now.  still a respectable price.

Pretty nice easy and cheap way to upgrade, while we wait for a legit n router from Verizon. 

mcianchetti

N is available.  I have it.  Tonawanda, NY.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

N router is only available on the actiontec rev G router. double check your service tag.   the rev F router says it has N, but it doesn't.  

0 Likes
MatthewH12
Contributor - Level 1

Rev F does have N, my netbook with 802.11n connects to it at 65Mbps. Sadly my netbook doesn't use a newer chipset that supports the 150Mbps 2.4Ghz N protocol.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

N router is only available on the actiontec rev G router. Double check your service tag.   the rev F router says it has N, but it doesn't.  

The rev. F does indeed have 802.11n.  However, it is compliant with the earlier draft spec, not the final 802.11n-2009 spec.

0 Likes
Snapper3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Right.  As I said, I heard N was now available.  Any idea what current users need to do to get it?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Snapper wrote:

Right.  As I said, I heard N was now available.  Any idea what current users need to do to get it?

Probably the only guaranteed way is to buy your own.

I'm sure VZ still has a huge stock of the b/g routers and even for a new install or replacement of a faulty router it will be hit or miss if you received one that supports wireless N

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Now it's $24.99 again at Newegg! 

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33156232

It isn't true wireless N (rev f)  it doesn't have the dual antenna   and verizon had actiontec and westell take it out of F in the firmware update for those routers.   if you firmware update you will likely lose the N that they mis-shipped.  

The rev. F has a non 802.11n-2009 compliant radio.
The rev. G will have a fully compliant implementation.

0 Likes
MatthewH12
Contributor - Level 1

It's still enabled for me in 20.10.7.(Wireless Mode:Compatibility Mode(802.11b/g/n)).

--Matt

0 Likes